Go Down

Topic: Which Arduino or Microcontroller to Make a Robot?  (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

randomgirl98

Some advice based on my experience - get an into text - Sparkfun has a free download and should be info here also.  Real time programming is different than on a PC or main frame - I have an industrial programming background (real time control using PLC's and ladder logic) among other things and have had a bit of a learning curve which has been painful at times.

Learn hot to blink lights and such before you go for the robot arm or other parts of it.

Good luck
Thanks but that i already covered/made just debating on what wifi module i should use.

randomgirl98

What do you want to run on the computer side? Do you have a readymade application, or are you programming it yourself? If so, in what language? What protocol and library are you using for the WiFi connection?

You aren't going to find an easier WiFi solution than the ESP8266, I'm afraid.

If you're familiar with Python, you can write both the ESP8266 code and the PC application in Python.

If you want to write a GUI for controlling the robot, I'd recommend HTML + JavaScript in a web browser. Building a user interface in HTML is a piece of cake, and JavaScript has excellent support for manipulating HTML and for WebSockets.
IMHO, the WebSocket protocol is just as easy (if not easier) as Bluetooth.

Added bonus: you don't need to install any special software for running your application.

Pieter
Like always your detailed answers are the best. I already did most of the movements and arms on C.  Everything is done in C. Now i am doing the data transferring part like suggested @Robin2. If you say the 8266 is the simplest ill go that way.

randomgirl98

After trying some modules recommended here and testing the esp8266 esp 01 and asking again here in another topic i might need more suggestions.

I need a wireless solution that allows me to upload sketches wireless to the arduino and later on allows me to use an usb control connected to a pc and control the hands and movement of the car wireless

Robin2

I need a wireless solution that allows me to upload sketches wireless to the arduino
As you still seem to be at the beginner stage forget about wireless uploading for now. Just get something simple working.

and later on allows me to use an usb control connected to a pc and control the hands and movement of the car wireless
I can't understand that - it seems to be all muxed ip

In any case deal with "later" later when you know more. It is not practicable to plan a complete system with all its components until you have experience.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

the_engineer

the Arduino DUE is faster than the others and has plenty of input/outputs.

I second that.

randomgirl98

As you still seem to be at the beginner stage forget about wireless uploading for now. Just get something simple working.

I can't understand that - it seems to be all muxed ip

In any case deal with "later" later when you know more. It is not practicable to plan a complete system with all its components until you have experience.

...R
Like i said on another thread already got all motors actuators and lcd panels working. Arms are working even my ps3 controller is working to control it. Now what is left is that.

I need a wireless wifi solution to upload sketches and maybe later add the ps3 functionality while connected to the laptop.

Robin2

Like i said on another thread already got all motors actuators and lcd panels working.
If you keep all the stuff in one Thread that would have been obvious and I would not have wasted my time.

and maybe later add the ps3 functionality while connected to the laptop.
In another Thread today this mini USB Host device was mentioned. Seems interesting.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

randomgirl98

Uploading firmware to AVR microcontrollers over WiFi using the ESP8266
I might need more information about this, i urdestand how it works but on the hardware part i am lost. So i wire up any esp8266 module and use this to change the tranfering config?

PieterP

Get a WeMos D1 mini, add a level shifter on the SPI pins, and connect it to the Arduino's SPI pins. Connect the Arduino's reset pin to GPIO5 of the ESP, preferably with a diode in between (cathode pointing to the ESP).

Go Up