Go Down

Topic: Help adding an ESP 8266 to my Arduino project (Read 674 times) previous topic - next topic

ieee488

Feb 13, 2018, 05:00 pm Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 05:01 pm by ieee488
Juraj,

For an exmple of how to properly write a great tutorial, read
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/projects/flashing-the-ESP-01-firmware-to-SDK-v2.0.0-is-easier-now/

One process with one objective and one set of parts.
One step at a time.
From beginning to end.

Show us how to do it.

randomgirl98

Feb 13, 2018, 05:12 pm Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 05:18 pm by randomgirl98
Ill check that iee488 thanks

ieee488

Feb 13, 2018, 05:45 pm Last Edit: Feb 14, 2018, 01:52 pm by ieee488
I am still waiting for a step-by-step set of instructions that works.

Juraj

once you learn the basic procedures with esp8266, you can try all the firmwares starting from the top of the table. (maybe skip the SPI WiFi Link :-) )

forget the Uno or Mega, start with basic esp8266 tutorials, learn how to use esptool and Arduino esp8266 core. Many tutorials show how to use Uno as USB adapter for the esp8266, but it is better to work with esp8266 breakout boards with USB or with esp8266 module connected to computer with an USB to TTL adapter.

esp8266 is full of small traps for beginners, mostly because of required boot pin states.

every firmware has it's documentation.

xl97

Lets just stick to one...  (we are trying to get some solid facts that DO NOT deviate from a single path/approach)

you mentioned: esp-link firmware

So (again)....  is this a correct assumption so far.  (please stay on topic, and only comment on what is listed below, not alternatives until it is proven/expressed that the below list is incorrect)

Arduino IDE
Arduino UNO
ESP8266-01
&
your link: esp-link firmware  (https://github.com/jeelabs/esp-link) * flashed to your ESP8266-01 module.

Is there anything more needed?

Will the above work... yes or no?

To be clear.. "I" have used the ESP8266 modules before in projects... (MQTT w/RPi, web server, captive portals...etc)

But I have never used it for OTA sketch uploads to a connected Arduino.

So please, outline 1 (serial approach) process, using the 'esp-link firmware' YOU suggested.

Is there more needed than the following list:
Arduino IDE
Arduino UNO
ESP8266-01
&
your link: esp-link firmware

If yes, please correct what is wrong?

If nothing more is needed please outline the steps/process one needs to take to do so.

I am NOT asking how to flash firmware onto an ESP8266 board...  (we can assume or ask in a separate thread, that the ESP8266-01 board has been flashed with the esp-link firmware)

Thank you.

Juraj

Feb 13, 2018, 08:56 pm Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 09:10 pm by Juraj
Is there more needed than the following list:
Arduino IDE
Arduino UNO
ESP8266-01
&
your link: esp-link firmware

If yes, please correct what is wrong?

If nothing more is needed please outline the steps/process one needs to take to do so.

the steps

and some configuration in board.txt to set the upload parameters for IDE (can be copied from Uno WiFi boards.txt settings)

I tested it in April last year with Uno WiFi when I had it only some weeks and it was my first Arduino. And recently I modified the dfu library of WiFi Link to accept upload from the platform.txt default upload tool used for Yun and esp-link.

xl97

Feb 13, 2018, 10:48 pm Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 10:50 pm by xl97
* even more confused.  (Yun's?  Uno Wifi's?...etc)

While I thank you for the link...

I made this comment above:

"I am NOT asking how to flash firmware onto an ESP8266 board...  (we can assume or ask in a separate thread, that the ESP8266-01 board has been flashed with the esp-link firmware)"

What I (and everyone else) want to know is (specifically) how to go about updating the connected Arduino sketch via OTA using the ESP8266-01 module. Simple and direct question.

You seem to be just 'stuck' on talking about flashing the ESP module.... why?   

Is that NOT what this is for?  (quick glance leads to me to believe this for OTA updating of the ESP module firmware itself..  and NOT for updating the sketch for the connected Arduino)

Maybe I'm missing something here?  Save my sanity.

ieee488

Feb 13, 2018, 11:01 pm Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 11:02 pm by ieee488
Yeah, I know it i
Maybe I'm missing something here?  Save my sanity.

You are sane.

It's the answers that are getting ridiculous.

I know it is possible to flash the ESP8266 firmware OTA (over-the-air).

You and I and the OP want to know how to update the Arduino Uno's firmware OTA.

It is very clear that is the purpose that we are discussing,
but apparently our English is not good enough or something, because I feel as if we are just going in circles with no clear answers.

I am beginning to think that we are asking for one thing, and the answers are about something else entirely.

Waste of time.

ieee488

Feb 13, 2018, 11:03 pm Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 11:04 pm by ieee488
once you learn the basic procedures with esp8266, you can try all the firmwares starting from the top of the table. (maybe skip the SPI WiFi Link :-) )

forget the Uno or Mega, start with basic esp8266 tutorials, learn how to use esptool and Arduino esp8266 core. Many tutorials show how to use Uno as USB adapter for the esp8266, but it is better to work with esp8266 breakout boards with USB or with esp8266 module connected to computer with an USB to TTL adapter.

esp8266 is full of small traps for beginners, mostly because of required boot pin states.

every firmware has it's documentation.

My example with the link to the tutorial is to show you how to write a good tutorial on this topic ---> OTA update of Arduino Uno sketch.

And I am getting the impression, you don't know how.

Juraj

Feb 14, 2018, 07:58 am Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018, 09:22 am by Juraj
"I am NOT asking how to flash firmware onto an ESP8266 board...  (we can assume or ask in a separate thread, that the ESP8266-01 board has been flashed with the esp-link firmware)"
You have it running? I assume no. You would not ask how to upload.

What I (and everyone else) want to know is (specifically) how to go about updating the connected Arduino sketch via OTA using the ESP8266-01 module. Simple and direct question.
for OTA upload from IDE to Uno you chose a network port and click Upload. the upload tool is already configured in platform.txt

additional boards.txt settings for network upload tool

Code: [Select]

uno.upload.network.endpoint_upload=/pgm/upload
uno.upload.network.endpoint_sync=/pgm/sync
uno.upload.network.sync_return=204:SYNC
uno.upload.network.endpoint_reset=/log/reset
uno.upload.network.port=80

ieee488

Feb 14, 2018, 01:48 pm Last Edit: Feb 14, 2018, 01:50 pm by ieee488
for OTA upload from IDE to Uno you chose a network port and click Upload. the upload tool is already configured in platform.txt

additional boards.txt settings for network upload tool

Code: [Select]

uno.upload.network.endpoint_upload=/pgm/upload
uno.upload.network.endpoint_sync=/pgm/sync
uno.upload.network.sync_return=204:SYNC
uno.upload.network.endpoint_reset=/log/reset
uno.upload.network.port=80

Shaking my head.

I knew reading that post would be a waste of my time.

If this was like the Slickdeals message board, I'd give that post a down vote.

ieee488

Let us know if that latest post by juraj makes any sense to you.

Maybe you can figure it out.

Juraj

Feb 14, 2018, 02:09 pm Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018, 09:24 am by Juraj
@eee488, it would make sense if you where there where you need the settings.

I tested the esp-link when I was a beginner with Arduino and did it. So stop asking, start reading the doc, flash the esp-link into esp8266, connect it to Uno with RX, TX, G and Reset, setup the esp-link over web interface (network and reset pin) and try the upload from IDE. you got an error and then you see what for the boards.txt settings are.

randomgirl98

Feb 14, 2018, 03:34 pm Last Edit: Feb 14, 2018, 03:46 pm by randomgirl98
Forget about this reply ill make a thread about it. I wont change subjects here.

Thanks to all those who helped :)

Go Up