Go Down

Topic: Computer Does Not Turn Off With Arduino Connected (Read 690 times) previous topic - next topic

Knightriderguy

Feb 13, 2018, 04:20 pm Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 05:01 pm by Knightriderguy
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Not sure if there is a solution for this but I notice that with the Arduino connected to the USB my computer does not shut down.
Has anyone else had or have this issue and if so is there a way to deal with that?
Arduino is connected via the USB port, no other power connected.
one Artist CAN make a difference.

Grumpy_Mike

Give us a clue.
What computer do you have?
What OS is it running?
What else is connected to your Arduino?
Is the Arduino being powered any other way at the same time?

Knightriderguy

Feb 13, 2018, 05:00 pm Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 05:03 pm by Knightriderguy
Thanks @Grumpy_Mike,

Well the computer is an Alienware Steam Machine running Windows 10

Connected to the Arduino is an LDR Sensor, a DS1820 Temperature sensor module,
Some button inputs.... the rest is information that gets sent to the Arduino when our app is running.

Grumpy_Mike

Thanks for the detail.
I suspect it is something to do with the Windows 10. I don't have that problem with a Mac and I have never used Windows 10 so maybe some one else could help.

Knightriderguy

Thanks @Grumpy_Mike,

Well, that's a start....

my thought was I wonder if there is a way that when my app shuts down I send a final command to the Arduino to switch off or somehow end the program loop.??

Grumpy_Mike

my thought was I wonder if there is a way that when my app shuts down I send a final command to the Arduino to switch off or somehow end the program loop.??
The problem is that unless you have external hardware to do this, you can not turn off an Arduino with a software command.

sterretje

There was a thread about this last year (I think).

I don't know if it was ever resolved but you can try a search to find it.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

cattledog

I am using Windows 10 version 1709 and have no problem to turn off the computer with ShutDown while the Arduino is running a program.  The usb port to the Arduino turns off.

Paul_KD7HB

Thanks @Grumpy_Mike,

Well the computer is an Alienware Steam Machine running Windows 10

Connected to the Arduino is an LDR Sensor, a DS1820 Temperature sensor module,
Some button inputs.... the rest is information that gets sent to the Arduino when our app is running.
Not familiar with that machine. If it has more than one USB port, have you tried the others for the same condition?

Paul

cattledog

How did you get Windows 10 on to the steam machine? Is it on a hard drive partition with dual boot?  A "Windows To Go" usb drive?

You are certainly not seeing an issue with a standard windows 10 pc installation.

Knightriderguy

I'm not 100% sure what to say on some of those responses guys,
I just did a clean install of Windows 10 on the Alienware Steam Machine.

I have tried the Arduino in other USB ports and it does the same thing on trying to shut the computer down.
I can just hold the power button and it forces the computer off, most likely NOT the best thing to do :/

cattledog

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 on the Alienware Steam Machine.
Is sounds like the Steam OS is gone, and you are running only Windows 10 on the original hardware.

Is it only the arduino attached to usb which prevents the computer from turning off?

What about a usb hard drive or other usb component?

Paul_KD7HB

I finally gave up and had to use Google. The machine is made by Dell and runs Lenix. Windows is running under LENIX, so you problem is with Lenix, not Windows 10.

Paul

Knightriderguy

Is sounds like the Steam OS is gone, and you are running only Windows 10 on the original hardware.

Is it only the arduino attached to usb which prevents the computer from turning off?

What about a usb hard drive or other usb component?
Yes that's right just the Windows installed on the Alienware.
And yes it's just the Arduino, any other USB hubs, mouse camera etcetera are all fine with shutting down.
Only with the Arduino connected it seems to have an issue.

Knightriderguy

I finally gave up and had to use Google. The machine is made by Dell and runs Lenix. Windows is running under LENIX, so you problem is with Lenix, not Windows 10.

Paul
Thanks @Paul_KD7HB,
Is there a way to fix it?

Go Up