installed new chip atmega168-20pu

hello i got an error by avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 after swaped my old atmega 328p-pu. my old was working really well such as blink example. so i decide installed on my new chip atmega 168 on my UNO arduino see if the blink example is working upload. it does not working. do any one know how to do it? what did i wrong i dont see what wrong chip is chip.

Does your new chip have a bootloader on it so that new sketches can be loaded on to it?

Just found solution for the same problem, maybe could be usefull to somebody
In my case it was Atmega 328P with Uno preloaded. Any combination of board selection or programmer didnt help, always got "Not in sync" error.
Than I tested it with older versions of Arduion 0021 and 0022 and I was able to upload sketch with 0022 version.
My solution for the problem was:

• open txt file boards.txt located in \arduino-1.0.4\hardware\arduino
    Change following line:
    uno.name=Arduino Uno
    uno.upload.protocol=arduino

to
uno.name=Arduino Uno
uno.upload.protocol=stk500

save file and restart application.

CrossRoads:
Does your new chip have a bootloader on it so that new sketches can be loaded on to it?

No I did not put new chip a bootloader on it. I was using verion 1.0. Do you know where can I get more information how chip can install with a bootloader and able to burn bootloader.

ironheartbj18:

CrossRoads:

No I did not put new chip a bootloader on it. I was using verion 1.0. Do you know where can I get more information how chip can install with a bootloader and able to burn bootloader.

MexxMe:
Just found solution for the same problem, maybe could be usefull to somebody
In my case it was Atmega 328P with Uno preloaded. Any combination of board selection or programmer didnt help, always got "Not in sync" error.
Than I tested it with older versions of Arduion 0021 and 0022 and I was able to upload sketch with 0022 version.
My solution for the problem was:

• open txt file boards.txt located in \arduino-1.0.4\hardware\arduino
    Change following line:
    uno.name=Arduino Uno
    uno.upload.protocol=arduino

to
uno.name=Arduino Uno
uno.upload.protocol=stk500

save file and restart application.

after i fixed on my board.txt and i was using programming usbasp then click burn bootloader got this error by this avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

i went into my board.txt change to uno.upload.protocal=usbasp. it does not working i got this same error.

i check on my control panel to find usbasp properties and i looked at location Location 0 (Port_#0004.Hub_#0001). wont able to change to COM port is that ok?

this video i make USBasp please help! - YouTube

the problem is the USBasp does not have firmware installed. does anyone know how solve it? i need help please thanks

This is just a warning, not the cause of your error.

warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.

This means that the USBasp programmer does not have the manual software feature to set the programming sck clock rate. If you have a (china made) USBasp then that usually means the firmware has a built-in auto-sck clock speed.

Are you trying to program a ATmega168 or ATmega328P?
Did you select the correct board type in the IDE?

If you are trying to program the ATmega168, then you should be selecting the board type "Arduino Diecimila or Duemilanove w/ ATmega168" in the IDE.

hiduino:

If you are trying to program the ATmega168, then you should be selecting the board type "Arduino Diecimila or Duemilanove w/ ATmega168" in the IDE.

i am trying to program a ATmega 168 on UNO board type "arduino UNO" selected and i replaced MCU from ATmega 328P. i got USBasp programmer from hobbyking.

ironheartbj18:

hiduino:

i am trying to program a ATmega 168 on UNO board type "arduino UNO" selected and i replaced MCU from ATmega 328P. i got USBasp programmer from hobbyking.

What counts for the IDE board selection is what chip is being used, what bootloader it has on it, and it's clock rate. So even though your plugging the 168 into your Uno board you cannot select the Uno type board to make it work. As already stated you must use the board selection of "Arduino Diecimila or Duemilanove w/ ATmega168" in the IDE."

Lefty

you were right "If you are trying to program the ATmega168, then you should be selecting the board type "Arduino Diecimila or Duemilanove w/ ATmega168" in the IDE."

i got it work property thanks !