Nuovo Board

I have been sketching out an Arduino clone/spinoff and I really don't know how to go about making it.

My ideas were to utilize the ATmel 644P processor as the core, and add extra headers on the inside of the preexisting ones, kind of like the Illuminato.
Also, I wanted to have two different methods of communicating with the computer, so the board has a USB port and a bluetooth radio built in.
For power, I decided that a two pin adapter like the one on the Seeduino and a standard coax battery plug were good choices.
The main reason I wanted to make this board is the fact that the Arduino's memory is just too small.
The 644P affords 4x the EEPROM, Flash, and RAM for larger and more complex sketches. Also, its limited amount of ports and lack of a built-in wireless data transmission method to complement the USB port make it less versatile then I would like.

Again, I really don't know how I should try and develop my ideas into something good. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been sketching out an Arduino clone/spinoff ..... utilize the ATmel 644P processor

Like this?

-j

took the works right out of my mouth kg4wsv.

I'm guessing the op is adding a bunch of new features however - bluetooth, maybe keep the original arduino form factor so shield can plug in..

Actually, designing based on the 644p is not a bad idea for a beginner cause the software changes would be slightly if at all different from the sanguino.

Yeah, I took a look at the Sanguino, and it's what inspired me to use the 644P. The major disadvantage of the Sanguino is the inability to connect shields, unless you hack it up. Also, to use the pins, you have to either buy the breakout board, which is really hard to use, or to use a breadboard, which just adds more complexity. The sanguino wasn't designed with shields in mind, it was designed fro use in the Reprap.

I've had the thought of putting a 644 (the SMT version) in an Arduino form factor, myself. The 644's 2 UARTs have my attention, as my projects are chronically short of UARTs.

It's a good idea, but how good it would be hinges on getting the hardware and software as close as possible to the original Arduino, such that all standard shields and sketches would simply recompile and work.

-j

Wait.. your user name kg4wsv.

That's a ham radio call sign, right?

If it is, hey! I'm a ham, too!

Callsign: KE5OPX

kg4wsv. That's a ham radio call sign, right?

Yep! A callsign may not be that easy for others (especially non-hams) to remember, but at least I can remember it, and it's pretty much guaranteed to be unique. :slight_smile:

There are some other hams around here, too.

-j

Wow! That is awesome.

Everywhere else I go, hams are nowhere to be seen.

Update for Nuovo:

In my original post, I forgot to mention two things.
1: Male headers on the bottom of the board for easy breadboarding. (Only the outermost row of pins have male headers)
2. Accelerometer built in to the board.

hams hide in the oddest places.

de ve3pzr.

But it can be hard hiding amoung all these software types :wink:

Lefty
WA6TKD

Hi,

I have made a Arduino clone with 644P which is shield compatible.
I am in the process to announce it :wink:
I need a final board because in the first batch I made the Rx/TX are flipped so it does not work with the USB port (but works with the Serial TTL port).
You can find board and schematics here:

http://svn.fuortes.net/svn/quarantamila

Michele

I've been playing with a 644P on my large solderless breadboard and standalone USB serial convertor module. It's quite the chip with two hardware serial ports, lots and lots of digital and analog pins and of course all that memory! I suspect that it will be the hight of capacity in a DIP package for the AVR Mega series as DIP packaging is waning on the industrial front and I don't think the hobbyist demand alone will keep justify continued support. Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully the Arduino IDE will build in support for the 644P like they have done for the 328 in version 13. :wink:

Lefty