Reset button / forum updates?

First of all, I've done this to myself several times and its getting really bad now, but I keep hitting the Reset button when trying to post a topic or reply. Its just a horrible button to have, especially when Ctrl+Z won't get your post back. At least put a confirmation pop-up like 'Are you sure you want to erase all that text you just spent 20 minutes writing?' :stuck_out_tongue:

But now that the Arduino platform and main website have gotten a facelift how about the forums? The design is pretty ugly and outdated but so is the functionality. I mean, the icon for 'Insert Email' above the post textarea is an old Microsoft Outlook logo...seriously? Can we hope for a forum update at some point?

(God I hope I don't hit that Reset button again....)

But now that the Arduino platform and main website have gotten a facelift how about the forums? The design is pretty ugly and outdated but so is the functionality. I mean, the icon for 'Insert Email' above the post textarea is an old Microsoft Outlook logo...seriously? Can we hope for a forum update at some point?

A forum revamp is on the list but it's nowhere near as simple as the website was. People use the forum all of the time and there is so much data to back up/store/transfer to a new system. Lots of testing also needs to be done to ensure that the new system is going to work properly and it's gonna be a positive improvement.

I'm not involved in any of this but that's pretty much the issue I think.

Basically it's on the list...

Mowcius

Ive done a few large forum migrations (not arduno large, but a mil hits a month large) , its not as difficult as one would think in the big picture

best way I have found is to get a copy, load it up on a lamp and run though every detail, quirk, bug, and nusance at your leisure

once you have everything worked out and can repeat it from scratch, you can swap out the entire system with only a few minuets downtime, since you have a weeks worth of fiddling, a few pages of notes, know every detail of what is going to happen, and your software already 100% ready to go aside from a database swap

I have actually done it semi live with different directory structures (ie user is in the index and chooses a thread and what? fireboard and joomla appear?) but of course you run the risk of that 1 person that is in the middle of writing a thesis doing it that way, 5 min with a scheduled announcement is much better, even though it kills the "Scotty" effect

(and no they dont want my help, so who knows what to expect)

(and no they dont want my help, so who knows what to expect)

Now why does that not surprise me...

Mowcius opens a can of worms