24v speed/direction controller circuit

I have a power source (24vDC with 1Amp max.), and I want to be able to control it (like a PWM signal) all the way from off to 24v, and also to be able to switch polarity. Does anybody know how to set this up with arduino? A relay is able to turn it off or on, but it isn't able to handle all of the states in the middle (10% power, 25% power, etc.).

Does anybody know how to build an Arduino-controllable circuit to do this?

By the way, if it matters, this is a speed/direction control for a DC motor.

Google 'arduino motor shield' or 'H-bridge'.

to my knowledge, the arduino motor shield only supports loads up to 18 volts.

I was hoping that there might be a cheaper solution than that. 30$ is a little steep.

I was thinking that maybe a couple of transistors could do something like this, but I don't quite know which ones I'm looking for, or how to set them up for that matter.

thepenguin:
to my knowledge, the arduino motor shield only supports loads up to 18 volts.

See Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino kit [v1.2] : ID 81 : $19.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
That one supports up to 25V.

I was hoping that there might be a cheaper solution than that. 30$ is a little steep.

I was thinking that maybe a couple of transistors could do something like this, but I don't quite know which ones I'm looking for, or how to set them up for that matter.

Did you look up H-bridge?

Henry_Best:

I know that H-bridges work to reverse the direction of the flow, but they don't do anything for speed as far as I can see.

H-bridges can be given PWM to change the speed control.

thepenguin:

Henry_Best:

I know that H-bridges work to reverse the direction of the flow, but they don't do anything for speed as far as I can see.

Look up H-Bridge with an enable signal.
Or Switching Power Supplies.

H-bridge like below might work for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-BTS7960-43A-H-bridge-Motor-Driver-module-smart-car-driver-For-Arduino-/161045865372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257f14e39c