Go Down

Topic: NanoArm / Arduino Zero - IDE problem (Read 2588 times) previous topic - next topic

jlsilicon

Nov 01, 2017, 02:54 am Last Edit: Nov 01, 2017, 02:58 am by jlsilicon
I ordered a couple of the NanoArm versions recently.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-Zero-Compatible-Nano-ARM-micro-controller-SAMD21/272748595033?hash=item3f81154759:g:1ikAAOSw8GtZW-~a

https://blog.protoneer.co.nz/nano-arm-arduino-zero-compatible-but-in-arduino-nano-form-factor/

But, I can not seem to be able to program them from the Arduino IDE.

I have tried Updating both of my 1.6.5 and 1.8.2 Arduino Windows IDEs.
(I have other versions of IDE - but these seemed like the ones specified in instructions)

I configured the Tools as :
 * Board = Arduino Genuino Zero (Programming Port)
 * Programmer = AtmelEDBG
 * Port = COM31 (or whatever Port pops up with plugging in the Brd)

But I always get when Uploading Blink.ino :

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0-g932ec70 (2017-02-15-12:34)
  Licensed under GNU GPL v2
  For bug reports, read
    http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
  debug_level: 0
  An error occured while uploading sketch
  adapter speed: 500 kHz
  adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
  cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq
  Error: unable to find CMSIS-DAP device
  Error: No Valid JTAG Interface Configured.
  Error: No Valid JTAG Interface Configured.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to solve this ?

- Note: The only related solutions that I could locate are for Linux IDE - which are not helpful for the Windows IDE.

westfw

It's certainly not equivalent to an Arduino Zero, because it doesn't have the debug chip.
Try setting the board type to "m0" instead.

jlsilicon

Nov 01, 2017, 02:52 pm Last Edit: Nov 01, 2017, 02:53 pm by jlsilicon
Your have a good point.
Will try tonight.
- Thanks !

dlabun

If selecting M0 doesn't work, try the Zero (Native Programming) board type... Their support website just tells you go follow an Arduino tutorial that walks you through using the native port.

jlsilicon

I set Board = Arduino/Genuino Zero (Native USB Port)
- and to the COM# that states "Arduino/Genuino Zero (Native USB Port)"

Get Board Info:
  BN: Arduino/Genuino (Zero Native USB Port)
  VID:  2341
  PID:  804D

The BlueLight just keeps Blinking.
IDE sits around forever stating Uploding.

Hitting Zero Brd Reset Button did not help.

I don't know what to set the Tools:Programmer.
- Not AtmelEDBG - thats for Zero Programmer Port (I tried AtmelEDBG, SAMice,AVRisp,AVRispMKII,USBtinyISP,USNisp,etc - none worked)
- How do I Upload to it ?

jlsilicon

Solved !

Need to Double Click ZERO Reset Btn to Start BootLoader UPLOAD . before clicking UPLOAD Btn in IDE.

see:
http://www.avdweb.nl/arduino/samd21/virus.html -- 'If the Native Port can not be detected'

dlabun

The Zero boot loader isn't perfect, sometimes it doesn't like to connect while other times it will work without needing to force it with the double click.

artisticforge

Hello

This sounds like the same issue that one user was having under Linux.

When using the Zero Programming Port the Arduino IDE tools expect that openocd software is installed and that there is JTAG software installed.

I would suggest starting with installed the Windows Version of OpenOCD software.

Open On-Chip Debugger
Free and Open On-Chip Debugging, In-System Programming and Boundary-Scan Testing
http://openocd.org/getting-openocd/

You may still need to install JTAG software for Windows.
><>

dlabun

OpenOCD is included when you install the Zero through the Board Manager so there should be no reason to manual install it.

artisticforge

OpenOCD is included when you install the Zero through the Board Manager so there should be no reason to manual install it.
Under Debian Stretch with IDE 1.8.5 , the Linux part of Open OCD is not installed by default.
While a part of OpenOCD is installed by Arduino IDE 1.8.5. Board Manager it is by definition only part.

Your argument is not with me but with Debian Linux and Arduino IDE 1.8.5.

I had seen this issue before and tracked it down to the openocd deb package missing.
When loading Debian Stretch unto this new laptop it happened again and solved by installing openocd and the couple JTAG packages.

The Errors with verbose output given when compiling and loading with the Programming USB port provide nearly all the information needed to know what is required to fix the error.

I am only able to write about what I know that works.

><>

dlabun

Posting about Linux is just confusing when the OP is asking about Windows. He even states the only information he could find was related Linux and recognized it wasn't of any help.

artisticforge

Posting about Linux is just confusing when the OP is asking about Windows. He even states the only information he could find was related Linux and recognized it wasn't of any help.
Hello

In Theory since the Arduino IDE is writing in JAVA it should run the same no matter what the underlying operating system is.

On both Linux and MacOSX, both UNIX, I have had to install openocd and jtag software.
once installed programming the Zero with the programming port worked great.

><>

Go Up