AVR-ISP-MK2 bootloading trouble :(

I thought I'd take the plunge and do some barebones Arduino progamming. My pre loaded ATMEGA328P-PU works a treat but I can't seem to burn my own bootloaders. I've been stuck on this for a couple of weeks and have tried lots of approaches to get it working.

I'm using IDE v 022 with LibUSB32 drivers for the Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2 and 10pin ISMP

pin 1 (MOSI) - pin 17
pin 5 (RST) - pin 1
pin 7 (SCK) - pin 19
pin 9 (MISO)- pin 18

The error message I receve is

avrdude: stk500v2_recv_mk2: error in USB receive
avrdude: stk500v2_cmd(): short reply, len = 0
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Wrong USB driver or something? I do notice that my LED on Arudino Pi 19 (sck) flickers.

supercrab:
I thought I'd take the plunge and do some barebones Arduino progamming. My pre loaded ATMEGA328P-PU works a treat but I can't seem to burn my own bootloaders. I've been stuck on this for a couple of weeks and have tried lots of approaches to get it working.

I'm using IDE v 022 with LibUSB32 drivers for the Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2 and 10pin ISMP

pin 1 (MOSI) - pin 17
pin 5 (RST) - pin 1
pin 7 (SCK) - pin 19
pin 9 (MISO)- pin 18

The error message I receve is

avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
        Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
        this check.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Wrong USB driver or something? I do notice that my LED on Arudino Pi 19 (sck) flickers.

Some more information about your setup would be helpful. All I can think of at the moment... considering that you are trying to RE-flash the bootloader..... are you flashing the 328P in the Arduino board or are you doing it in a bare ZIF socket and home made programmer? If the latter, do you have a crystal connected?

Literally the very first thing I ever did when I started with the Arduino boards was build an ISP with a ZIF socket on a Proto-Shield. I double and triple checked everything, I saw "good looking" signals on the ISP lines, yet the MCU would not program. I never thought about the fact that a crystal was needed! I'm an EE, I've been doing electronics for 40+ years (yes it was even a childhood hobby) , yet I forgot the crystal!! LOL!

Are you trying to program a virgin atmega chip, or is it one that has already had a bootloader installed? If the latter, do you have a crystal/caps or ceramic resonator connected to the mcu XTAL1/XTAL2 pins?

I have my Atmega in a bread board. The setup works fine with a preloaded chip as I can upload and run blink. I used a CP2102 USB to serial chip for the uploading. I have an Olimex programmer connected to my arduino via ICSP 10 pin.

I don't know what is wrong with your setup, but I have done similar things here, which may help you:

I have the chip all setup as if was preloaded. If it was it would work as the setup works with the blink program. I think my problem lies somewhere in the drivers for the Olimex programmer (LibUSB). Unfortunately, I reinstalled them and now when I use the programmer it crashes windows :

I've abandoned this and I'm going to knock up a parralel programmer :confused:

Thanks for this link I shall give it a blast :slight_smile: