avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file

Hi, uber noob here :o

I have been trying to get into this for a while and had some success with my Mac (OS X 10.11.2) and IDE 1.6.7 and an Uno. I had no difficulty following some tutorials.

Now all my sketches give me this error:

avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file
Specify a programmer using the -c option and try again

I haven't changed anything on my Mac. The Uno shows up as usbmodem, so that's good.

My Macbook (Same spec as above) seems more troublesome (something to do with libraries or something, i'll try and sort that before asking another question...)

I've searched for an answer to the above; can't find one (and I read the troubleshooting guide).

Thanks in advance,
Simon.

I had the same issue (also on MacOS X, IDE 1.6.7) and it started after in was prompted to update my board by the IDE. It was working fine before, and I had the "avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file" after.

I installed IDE 1.6.9 and now it is working fine.

Gaspard

THanks, Gaspard. Yes, I too tried downloading 1.6.9 which seems to have fixed it.

It's not necessary to reinstall a previous version of the entire IDE - you just need to roll-back the Arduino AVR Boards component to v1.6.10.

v1.6.11 is broke.

Cheers ~ Jason

This seems to be a recurring problem. I am working on a program for a nano v3. I updated to the 1.6.14 boards in the Board Manager and had to roll back to 1.6.13. I wonder how much this is a function of different computers and different versions of the nano.

Just for reference: I am using Windows 10. My programming environment is Arduino IDE version 1.6.8. The target board was an Arduino Nano V3.0. I am using one of the cheaper nano versions from overseas.