how to program ATMega32

Hi all - Brand new to arduino. I have learned everything online up to now. Done multiple projects using the arduino, and have programed small projects on ATTiny85 AVRs with the Arduino as an ISP.

I am trying to do a light project that involves 24 LED light sections, which all need to be controlled separately. I understand writing code with the arduino (I have an ATMEga328, so I know that writing to pin 9 is actually pin 15).

As I have 24 sections, I thought I would try using the ATMega32. Again, brand new, so I am stuck trying to understand how to program the AVR via my arduino (there is no selection in the dropdown). I am also stuck in understanding the pinout of the ATMega32 (if I google the 328, I get tons of descriptions of which pins are D0 or D9 for example, but haven't found this for the 32).

I appreciate anyone that can help me learn how to program and code this AVR.

Thanks in advance - C

I am also stuck in understanding the pinout of the ATMega32 (if I google the 328, I get tons of descriptions of which pins are D0 or D9 for example, but haven't found this for the 32).

Remember the process you went through to program the ATtiny85 processors? You will have to repeat the process for the ATmega32.

The first step is to locate a "core" for the ATmega32. This is a set of C and C++ files that implement the Arduino core functions (like millis, digitalRead, etcetera).

ATtiny was a selection with arduino as an ISP... A "core" is what I need to add to the aruino so I can select in the dropdown?

Yes.