esc shutdown at full trottle.

Im running esc's on a mega2560 board. Python program with 4-axis program and a joystick is connected.

When i run the esc at full reverse or full forward, the motor just cut after a second. then if i go to idle at the joystick and have a 2-3sec waiting time. a beep comes from the esc and everything is ok.

Is there a easy fix for this?

here is the arduino serial-multi-servo-joystick setup I am using.

http://principialabs.com/wp-content/uploads/MultipleSerialServoControl.pde

Karl

When i run the esc at full reverse or full forward, the motor just cut after a second. then if i go to idle at the joystick and have a 2-3sec waiting time. a beep comes from the esc and everything is ok.

That is probably normal behavior for your ESC, check the esc manual. Most esc have a safety startup procedure called 'arming' that involves sending certain servo commands for certain time before it will allow the motor to run. This is to prevent the motor (as in a R/C airplane prop motor) from powering up and spinning the prop and possible hurting someone.

Once you understand the arming procedure from the manual you may want to write a function that your sketch can run during it's startup function to perform that procedure automatically.

Lefty

You might also be running into a thermal shutdown, supply voltage dropout or overload/overcurrent protection mechanism. If the controller overheats (or whatever) on full throttle, it may shut down and refuse to work until it cools off and returns to "off".

What ESCs are you using?
What power supply?
What motors and what kind of load?
Do you have access to a watt meter to measure the current draw on each ESC?

In the radio control airplane world, if we badly miss on a setup and have too much current being drawn, we get results like you describe. The watt meter reveals this, and we can make changes to our setup from there.

really weird behavior. the throttle range calibration on the esc did not work. have tried different things on the hardware side with the esc. nothing works.

To me it "seems" to be some kind of throttle out of range issue. When running the calibration on the esc with my joystick. I can see on the leds, that the esc doesnt pick up the signals on full reverse or full forward. Got to take the stick back 2 millimeters to make it arm. Both ways.

im using a 35A HD esc for cars (with reverse)
power 7,4Lipo
mystery D2836 brushless 1700kv

But im pretty shure now that this is a firmware/software issue.
Running the 4-axis joysticksystem (principialabs.com - This website is for sale! - principialabs Resources and Information.)
Im using the xbox360 controller (but same happen with other controller)

I have read somewhere that the operating range for escs are 45-135?

btw
Right now im running the servo.h with this principialabs.com - This website is for sale! - principialabs Resources and Information.
im not having this issue with servos on the same setup.

Karl

Problem solved. just shortened the operating range from 0-180 to 30-150. My esc's operates now without trouble.

Karl

Just a point for future reference, I think most RC equipment may only output in the range of 45-135 deg for servo control even though most servos can rotate 0-180 deg. The 45-135 deg control range may be what most ESCs expect to receive.