Can Arduino be used to prototype a vending machine...

Hi, I have some experience using and programming an arduino. I will like to know how well arduino can handle a project like a vending machine and the best way to go about it.

I plan to prototype and eventually produce a vending machine that dispenses bakery products. Something very identical to the cupcake ATM. I've provided a link to a video that shows one in use.

I'm sure it can. There are questions posed fairly regularly about recognizing coins, and controlling motors, reading limit switches, counting rotations of transport bars, etc. are things that a microprocessor can easily do.

check - Coin Acceptor - Programmable (6 coin types) - COM-11636 - SparkFun Electronics -

Thanks...But I intend to accept credit/debit cards only no coins.

what do you sell in the vending machine...

robtillaart:
what do you sell in the vending machine...

I plan to prototype and eventually produce a vending machine that dispenses bakery products.

I need to read more carefully ... (Thanks lefty)

Thanks...But I intend to accept credit/debit cards only no coins.

You have a lot of peripherals "ready to use" (I mean, card readers, coin identifying and managing, . . .)

If you plan to desing everything, then step by step: start making a block diagram.

Good idea, but... What about the rest of the project. The vending machine is not only electronics, but I imagine that you will have a lot of mechanical and/or temperature problems to solve, don't you? But any way, I like the idea.

well and how are you going to read credit debit cards and connect your vending machine to the bank? I believe all electronic work on 1 side and this banking side at the other hand! laws and regulations and connectivity..all that?

arslanzaidi:
well and how are you going to read credit debit cards and connect your vending machine to the bank? I believe all electronic work on 1 side and this banking side at the other hand! laws and regulations and connectivity..all that?

Have you looked at the movie? Just swipe a visa card. If you have a camera (and are willing to take some risks) that is all that is needed. reading a magnetic strip is ancient technology.

yes yes i know reading a magstripe is ancient technology. Latest are the mobile magstripe readers which are cheap enough to be distributed freely (by Square, an American company) and can be used with even a smartphone. I used one from IDTech recently and its still with me. What I was talking about was your machine's integration and linking with the Bank. Reading a data from magstripe is no issue but sending data to VISA or Mastercard and getting authentication from them and getting a transaction done from them is the issue. If you have a plan for that then its good. (Its just a side issue, not related to arduino)

I asked for this because we were recently working on a product which involved magstripe cards and banking and there it opened to me that to get the bank into your product (not technically, but by bank requirements and regulations etc.) is one of the moooost difficult things in world! because such products play with the "People's money" and that has to be secured, protected and governed by the banks, VISA, and the State itself.

arslanzaidi:
I asked for this because we were recently working on a product which involved magstripe cards and banking and there it opened to me that to get the bank into your product (not technically, but by bank requirements and regulations etc.) is one of the moooost difficult things in world! because such products play with the "People's money" and that has to be secured, protected and governed by the banks, VISA, and the State itself.

That depends on the requirements of the project. If the project is willing to take the risk that when someone complains they lose the money there is no need for online validation.
I guess many companies (hotels for sure) still have the visa/amex papers and swipe through machine to pay off-line. This used to be the default way of paying but is now the back-up way.
That is why your name and card number is "embossed" (I don't know the English word but the letters are kind of pushed out of the card) and not just printed.
The electronic version of that is swiping through a magnetic reader.
The project takes the risk someone refuses to pay but it saves on development and connection cost with an increased customer satisfaction (no wait time). If you add a camera and keep the recordings you can show the credit card company who used the card in case of dispute.

Best regards
Jantje

Hey, I've actually been working on trying to design a vending machine with some friends for class project. I'm still kinda new to Arduino, but our idea is a vending machine with School Supplies. Looking at the budget its really pricy trying to get the supplies, but the feedback I got from other students was really positive. I'd appreciate any responses. Plus, the thing about Credit Card Readers is that they can't be created (or at least legally) by Third-Parties due to people using them to get money from stolen credit cards, etc. So the Credit Card Reader actually would need to be purchased. If anyone finds this topic very interesting I would love to talk with you. I'll also say right now, this is a school project, so just designs would be helpful. And we'd have to source you as info and asistance in our Biblography. Anyways, any help would be sweet! PM if your interested, also we are @cdsskoolkit on Twitter if you want to contact us there. Thanks!

Use Stripe.com