Arduino ethernet sheild wiznet chip become too hot!

I bought a ethernet sheild and when I connected it to my arduino uno and plug it to my computer i notice the wiznet chip on the ethernet sheild became too hot , what is the problem? is it normal?

Yes, they get quite hot and draw about 200 ma to get there. You're not the first to be concerned.
I quickly disconnected my WIZ810Mj module the first time I fired it up.

I have four Ethernet shields (with POE) that are used outdoors but not in direct sunlight. I would guess the temperature at noon is roughly 35C (95F) or more. The plastic enclosure gets warm to the touch but they seem to be running fine so far. :cold_sweat:

Three months later... and two of the four Ethernet shields (with POE) have died. I don't know if it's due to the high temperature and humidity, or if it's because ants got into the POE switch. =(

I have found information that indicates that POE voltage has a broad range. I think the voltage can be anywhere from 24 to 56 volts. You can by POE power supplies at many different voltage specifications.

On a side note, Cisco switches with POE put out more voltage than Linksys switches that I have seen.

More voltage = more heat.