Go Down

Topic: Arduino for industrial automation (Read 46627 times) previous topic - next topic

robtillaart

@Paul

Well written article and a very impressive project.

Wrt the source control, are you familiar with GIT?
- one repo per customer is quite labour intensive but very practical.
- you might extract libraries to keep the deltas to a minimum.
- you can also "force merge customers" to minimize # forks.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

nwind

Have you seen this:

http://velocio.net

graynomad

That's a well-designed system at first glance.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

istvanuino

Any reason why Arduino seems (to me) to be relegated to hobbyists and science fair projects? I'm a technician working in industrial automation, and for the last few PLC installs I have done, I have been thinking how much cheaper and better it would be to install an Arduino. I have been reluctant to approach my supervisor with the idea because i fear the scenario where I mention it, he looks it up, sees nothing but "how to make an automatic home plant waterer",  laughs at me, and never considers anything I say again. Is there really any reason why a 25$ arduino should not be trusted to do the same job as a 2500$ PLC* (that is, control a multi-million dollar piece of machinery which could kill/maim operators if it doesn't function properly)? I really want to thrust arduino into industry and I dream of the day when I can program in real code instead of an inefficient archaic relay logic graphical interface designed for semitards**.

*The only things that  I can think of:
1. it resets every time you download to it, which in some settings could alter vital external processes
2. you can't easily monitor I/O from the laptop and force bits high/low
3. No true analog outputs without going out of your way with A/D converter
4. incompatible with the 24V standard used in industry
5. Not (to my knowledge) officially approved for use in industrial/hazardous environment = the kicker I'm sure ...(WHY NOT?)

** Yes, many PLCs these days can be programmed in a text-based interface, but the support for the programming language is not nearly as extensive as for Wiring, and you have to take Very expensive classes to be taught it (taught is a joke, really; the classes are a couple days long for a few hours). So far the only one I have encountered is the Allen Bradley Compactlogix which seems like a weird fusion of Basic
and relay logic.

Sorry for rambling; i know I blurred my point. Basically I just want to replace a PLC with an arduino and I want somebody here to tell me that it's perfectly O.K. to do so....
Hi.
I´m also a automation technician, programing PLCs and Robots for a living.
I was in same situation as you. Then I found Millennium 3 PLCs starting at only 100 €! Programing software for free!
Might want to check that out.

I don´t want to bash Arduino, but when it comes to industrial automation, and serious money, I can´t really trust the Arduino. But hey! Proove me wrong!

cuonglt_indruino

You can see Indruino boards which can work in industrial, www.indruino.com

cuonglt_indruino

May 27, 2018, 04:05 am Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:13 am by cuonglt_indruino
To your mcu boards can work good, the first need a good power supply. You note parameters such as :
1/ DC/DC Isolation : input : 18V-36VDC, Ouput 5VDC Isolation
2/ Protect : short current, over load current,...
3/ Noise filter, EMI (Electromagnetic interference) , power module must have metal cover outside
If you have no experiments , you can use module , such as Morun is ok
You can find in here : http://indruino.com/indruino-power-supply
My web will have english version in furture, sorry for that !
Thanks 

Go Up