Windows based Arduino IDE & Dropbox Issue (SOLVED)

Another little Windows usability issue (Suprised? Really!? :))

All of my sketches are in a Dropbox folder (I use Dropbox as an installed application rather than their web based method), as i'm often on different computers, away on work etc, all the reasons you'd use Dropbox.

Most of the time I use the Mac IDE for development, and can simply select Open > Dropbox, and get to my sketches that way - and saving simply saves them straight back into Dropbox. However, when on Windows - Dropbox isn't a view-able or valid folder to select, attemping to open it's desktop shortcut (as Dropbox dosen't appear in the folder hierarchy) simply gives me the same error as if I'd attempted to open a non .PDE file.

So currently my work-around is to copy the folder from Dropbox onto my desktop, and then when I'm done - the same in reverse. Defeats the point of Dropbox in the first place.

Any suggestions?

I have no problems opening sketches in my Dropbox folder.

It sounds like you're stuck on trying to open some shortcut on your desktop which would probably work in a native Windows application but with Java... nah.
Do you know where your dropbox folder is located?

Mine is at C:\Users\username\Dropbox in Windows 7 and if I browse there from the Arduino IDE open dialog I can open the sketches.
If you find that path hard to browse to you could create a symlink to your dropbox folder somewhere else

mklink /D C:\Dropbox C:\Users\username\Dropbox

Since your Dropbox folder is an actual folder somewhere on your hard drive, you should be able to Navigate to it directly.

perhof:
It sounds like you're stuck on trying to open some shortcut on your desktop which would probably work in a native Windows application but with Java... nah.
Do you know where your dropbox folder is located?

Mine is at C:\Users\username\Dropbox in Windows 7 and if I browse there from the Arduino IDE open dialog I can open the sketches.
If you find that path hard to browse to you could create a symlink to your dropbox folder somewhere else

mklink /D C:\Dropbox C:\Users\username\Dropbox

Perfect - navigating the long way works (and I didn't think of this why? :blush:)

Strange how desktop shortcuts open fine in the Mac IDE.

Cheers!