Arduino Beginner - Cubesat style Prototype Challenge!

Hey everyone! I've been learning Arduino through examples and lots of googling for the past few months. I figured I would post my current project and see if I can get advice/help/comments and also just share it. I figure it may be useful for other beginners.

So the project is this: a "pretend" satellite! Inspired by the CubeSat form factor and use of "off-the-shelf" components, I wanted to make a little arduino gizmo that would replicate some of the systems used in these tiny satellites.

Eventually, I will have a 3D printed CubeSat skeleton that all my work will sit nicely in, and I may even try to get some of my circuits printed as custom PCBs.

I'll keep posting in this thread as issues come up or are hurdled over!

Here are my own requirements for my ProtoSat:
Uses Arduino Uno or SparkFun RedBoard for the main "computer."
Wirelessly transmits data.
Takes sensor readings, either at intervals or on command.
Able to take and send a picture wirelessly.
Powered by batteries, either alkaline or rechargeable.
"May" be solar-powered, but probably not.
Inexpensive to develop!

Right now, I have the ProtoSat started! It's an Arduino Uno, taking atmospheric readings from a SparkFun BME280 sensor. It sends these readings to a SparkFun RedBoard via 434MHz transmitter/receiver. So far, so good!

I plan to add:
TTL camera
9v battery pack, with on/off switch and low battery indicator

My only question as of now, is if I use a TTL serial camera, do I need to store the picture says it takes somewhere (like an SD card) before trying to transmit it with VirtualWire? Is this even possible?

I'll post the code I have as soon as I get back home to my computer. I just thought I would post about my current project (which I'm very pleased with at the moment.)

Thanks!

I don't know about the camera, but the project sounds like fun. Please keep posting as you progress.

Weedpharma

Thanks! It's been fun so far.

A few minor updates- my girlfriend wants to use this project to spy on our cats during the day, which means I will end up trying to replicate the systems / functionality of a real spacecraft.

I'll try to use an SD card to store data and pictures that the ProtoSat takes.

I'll try to use RF transceivers, so there is two-way communication between my laptop (receiving Arduino) and the ProtoSat.

I'll try to code commands, so I can use the serial monitor on IDE to tell the ProtoSat to take data/pictures or send the data on the SD card as a data dump.

So far, the transceivers look like the most expensive part at $30 for an Arduino shield from SparkFun with an RF transceiver integrated in. I'll have to look for other options.

I'm also going to try to use Fritzing to design PCB layouts for the different systems (Sensors/Payload, Communications, and Battery/Power). I hope to get those custom shield PCBs printed and stack them on the Arduino inside the CubeSat body frame.