LumiNet (based on attiny84)

Oh I forgot the bit bang question... the attiny84 has no hardware UART. But for ISP you don't need a hardware UART. What you need is a ISP interface. And the six ISP pins are available (the diagonal pins you can see on the photo) so you can connect any ISP programmer to them, even a bit bang device that can be a FTDI chip like the one that is used on the Arduino. So you can use the Arduino as an ISP for LumiNet in theory. I have never tried this but it should work just as fine as with an Arduino. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, here is a link:

http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/bootloader/index_en.html

The picture (of the circuit) at the bottom of the page shows how to connect the 4 pins of the X3 connector of the Arduino in Order to convert the FTDI chip into a bit bang ISP programmer (that can be used with LumiNet nodes)

With this ISP programmer you can upload the bootloader to the LumiNet node. If requested I could modify the IDE so that the sketch can be uploaded via ISP (I use this for tests here but it will get removed with the official release because programming by infection is the way sketches should be uploaded)