processing.js basics

Confused by the basics..

I want to save data from an Arduino to machine on the net. I guess I'd use processing to do that. Would I use something to write to a MYSQL database?

Next, to read that database and display that data on a web page, I'd need processing.js running on server? Or do I have that wrong?
PHP?

Open to ideas!

I want to save data from an Arduino to machine on the net.

Is the Arduino equipped with an Ethernet shield, or is it simply sending data to your PC and expecting the PC to talk to the "machine on the net"?

I guess I'd use processing to do that.

Not on a web server.

Would I use something to write to a MYSQL database?

Depends on the kind of data you want to save, and how you want to save it.

Next, to read that database and display that data on a web page, I'd need processing.js running on server?

Why? There are plenty of options, depending on the OS of the server.

PHP?

Yes? You have a question about PHP?

I am open to whatever is best way to do this.

Gather data.
Save that data.
Display on the web.

Suggestions?
I'm open to any setup really.

php is a easy route to take as it is simple to carry out the plot as there are a lot of libraries out there that does the graphing for free.

here is one post that demonstrates the same .

hope this helps !

Thanks,
Ram

So using PHP I could get data from a database on the server and serve it as a web page, but how do I get from an Arduno in one location to write to a database on a server somewhere else?
Would I connect the Arduino to a local machine running something like processing to get the data and then send it to that server?

Or is there a better way to do this whole thing?

To have the arduino post data to a central server there are two ways.

Option 1:
As you rightly said hook up the arduino to a PC and run a PC program (processing/python..etc) that can read and post to the web. This solves the purpose but not an elegant solution though but could serve as a good starting point.

Option 2:
Arduino + ethernet shield (needs a wired internet connection) or Arduino + GPRS shield (Uses the cell phone data service) or Arduino + wifi shield (uses wireless internet connection) which could be a stand alone solution posting data to the server.

Hope these directions help !

Thanks,
Ram