Go Down

Topic: Connection via USB? (Read 6170 times) previous topic - next topic

Xamtastic

I have been unable to connect to the Virtual Shield using USB.

I have this code on my Sketch:

#include <ArduinoJson.h>
#include <VirtualShield.h>
#include <Text.h>

VirtualShield shield; // identify the shield
Text screen = Text(shield); // connect the screen

void setup()
{

shield.begin(57600); // begin communication

screen.clear(); // clear the screen
screen.print("Hello Virtual Shields");
}

void loop()
{
}

And my Serial monitor demonstrates that the JSON is being sent to the Windows 10 via USB:

{'Service':'SYSTEM','Id':1,'Action':'START','TYPE':'!','LEN':160}{'Service':'LCDT','Id':2,'Action':'CLEAR','TYPE':'S'}{'Service':'LCDT','Id':3,'Message':'Hello Virtual Shields','TYPE':'S'}

I have, naturally, downloaded the Windows Virtual Shield onto Windows 10, however when I select the USB option from the dropdown, there is nothing to indicate that the Arduino has connected with it.

Has anyone at all had any success connecting the Arduino to the Virtual shield, using USB?

Xamtastic

I also downloaded the Windows Virtual Shield from Github and deployed to to Raspbery Pi as a UWP Windows IoT Core UPA and connected the Arduino with the foregoing sketch, to one of the Pi's USB connections.

The result - and the behaviour of the Virtual Shield - was just the same.

I couldn't test the serial, of course, as the Arduino IDE was not connected).

Any thoughts?

joe2000

This thread is "somewhat" old, but I'll add my 5 cents since others might run into it.

I also attempted to use the USB connection with the Virtual Shields.

I noticed that if I connect first with putty or the serial monitor and then close it and open the Virtual Shields App it manages to print out text, over the white letters, but doesn't seem to respond to events.

I even added a wait on my Arduino code to see if the app was opening the serial port and it's not.

I'm pretty sure the App isn't opening the com port properly (at least with the USB connection), I might try and dig into the code to see if I can find anything, if anyone does it please let us know.

Go Up