How to make (or buy) a joystick that only returns to center on x axis

I'm designing a custom drone controller for my custom drone... Before I buy joysticks I want to know if there is anything special I need to do to make the throttle stick return to center on the x axis only. I've seen a video of how to remove the spring, but it looks like that removes auto return for both axes. Is there a word used to describe this type of joystick that I can look up? Thanks.

You just need the right sort of joystick. Those made from normal rotary pots usually have one Spring per axis.

RC Transmitters usually have the Y axis, or throttle, non centering.
The X axis is centering.
And they commonly have both x and y centering on the other joystick.

There are many cheap RC transmitters on the market. And a used one can be very cheap.

I would seriously consider starting with one of them. Rip out the electronics and put in yours.

Curious minds want to know - what do you want to do on the transmitter differently than a standard RC transmitter does?

Example of used RC transmitter $25
Another example FREE you pay $15 shipping

vinceherman:
RC Transmitters usually have the Y axis, or throttle, non centering.
The X axis is centering.
And they commonly have both x and y centering on the other joystick.

There are many cheap RC transmitters on the market. And a used one can be very cheap.

I would seriously consider starting with one of them. Rip out the electronics and put in yours.

Curious minds want to know - what do you want to do on the transmitter differently than a standard RC transmitter does?

Example of used RC transmitter $25
Another example FREE you pay $15 shipping

I'm using rf modules instead of purpose made rc receivers because I had some lying around and I wanted to put them to use. No real different functions that I have in mind. I actually do already have a working controller that I checked out but I wasn't sure if I wanted to destroy the original circuit yet. After thinking about in now, though, I probably won't ever use it again so I might take it apart. We'll see.

But the fifteen dollar transmitter and receiver does look interesting, I'll think about buying it or something similar. :slight_smile: