Something else (where's the Arduino, should I call him Waldo???)

Hi Guys,
Yes another new guy on the block, and I have looked all over for relevant posts with no luck so far, I skipped some steps too and this made no difference, so here goes.
I have a brand new Arduino Uno from Solarbotics, in the ARDX package, it has an ATMEGA328P chip in it.
I downloaded the latest verion of Arduino software (0022) drivers and went to work.
On my laptop (Windows 7) I followed all of the instructions and plugged the Arduino into my USB port and it lit up (power, awesome) and the light attached to pin 13 (on the board) went into blink mode (fantastic) and......................well thats it! I have been trying for 4 days (not quite steady, but any spare time) to get some form of response from it, I have now tried plugging it into 3 different computers, two with 7 and one with XP, and 2 different USB cables and each time it does the same procedure, but when I try and look for it in devices / hardware /device manager / usb ports / other and all the different places I have read to try the thing does not show up.
What I have basically ended up with is a blinking light and an on light on a USB port. I cannot install device drivers as there it does not show up as a device on any one of the three computers (for a total of 10 USB ports) or two usb cables, windows does not seem to accept that it exists.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, this thing looks like a fun and useful tool and I want to get my kids working with it asap. I am sure I am doing something (or not doing something) simple, but from all the stuff I have read you plug it in and it will appear somewhere.
I also tried uploading to the Arduino and ended up with avrdude:
stk500_getsync ( ) : not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude:stk500_disable (): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
I looked up these codes and they are apparently very generic to the Arduino, please help!!!!! THANKYOU in advance. :~

On my laptop (Windows 7) I followed all of the instructions

URL?

Hi Coding,
URL? What / where / how do you mean?

Whathappensif

To me it sounds like the UNO is faulty.
I presume you don't have it resting on a conductive surface, which shorts out the USB pins.

The fact it doesn't even ask for drivers, means it isn't communicating.
The blinking LED is a preloaded sketch in the controller.

You have already tried multiple USB ports, different OS, USB cable and computers.

It should ask you for the driver, and show in the device manager as either good or faulty.

Don't suppose you have access to another user, to verify it before contacting the supplier.

Mark

Okay, I think I figured out what you meant (sorry, this thing has addled my brain) URL was http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
I understood that was where the latest and greatest was supposed to be.

Hi Mark,
No, it is mounted on the fancy non conductive board from the supplier (it is an experimenter kit designed for people who are just learning, like me) and comes with a breadboard and some wiring and components to keep it simple (lights, a motor, a servo etc, actually pretty awesome for a starter).
Unfortunately I don't know anyone else around who may have one, I only found out about them from the instructables pages, so I don't think that is an easy option, good idea though.
Dave

In that case, I'll assume you made it here...

In which case you need to pay very close attention to "4 | Install the drivers".

Codingbadly
I think you may have missed this bit in the original posting

I cannot install device drivers as there it does not show up as a device on any one of the three computers (for a total of 10 USB ports) or two usb cables, windows does not seem to accept that it exists.

He also indicated an XP machine which will definately ask for the driver.

If it doesn't show as a device, windows can't/won't try to install anything.

Thanks
Mark

i myself just got the ARDX kit from solarbotics. I use a windows based PC (7), install ran perfect for me. i've worked on other boards before. It does sound like the USB connection is faulty. One way to check is plug the USB into the board(do NOT have the battery pack connected that came with the kit), make sure USB is fully inserted. If there is power to the board and it turns on then it is not the USB port itself. If you are unable to get your board working, you can bypass the USB but if you dont have any experance with electronics/breadboards,ext..then i would just send it back to solarbotics for a replacement.

williamkoepp
Good suggestions but you might have forgotten that the USB cable has 4 pins. two for power and two for data.

When the UNO is plugged in, the RX and TX lights should flash brielfy. This is when it communicates to the machine, and the machine trys to identify what it is, so that it can then use the right driver that matches its Vendor ID and Part number.

It pretty quick but should happen each time.

Mark

Ok, I tried the board (again 2 different computers and operating systems and two different USB cables, and I tried wiggling the USB cable and plug gently, but no change) and the TX and RX lights do not flash at all at any time when it is plugged in, unplugged or when I try the reset button. The green power light comes on steady and the "L" light blinks in what I would guess is a meaningful type of code,(it ends up going into a steady blink, and has just turned on steady) but no TX or RX lights at any time, and still not "seen" by either computer................does that help?
Thanks very much by the way, I am having to come and go from the computer, but following as closely as I can, I appreciate the help and hopefully will be able to do the same for others eventually.
Cheers
Dave

When you connect the Arduino, does the computer produce the "USB device insertion" sound?

With Device Manager running, when connect / disconnect the Arduino, does the list refresh?

No sound, and no refresh when I unplug or plug in the Uno on the windows 7 with the device manager running. I also double checked with my mouse on two different ports (the ones I am trying the uno in) and I do get the sound and the refresh each time I plug it in or unplug it, just not with the uno. I am still trying to figure out how to get into device manager equivilent in the XP machine (it's been a while). but would anticipate the same results.

Got device manager on the other one now (the xp) and as expected the results are as before. I tried a new flash drive on it and all the found new hardware bells and whistles came up as normal...................but nothing with the Uno (or should that be oh no?)
Dave

Dave
There was a series of advertisements here fromToyota. Mainly the Hilux Pickup.
The common theme was a series of misadventures, including a dog that missed the deck as it drove off.
Not sure if it ever got past NZ or Australia...

The expression was 'Bug..r"

It seems to fit here as well.

Looks like its a return to the supplier.

Mark

It gets better, (or worse), this morning I decided to check the emails etc. and just for the heck of it I unplugged all devices from my computer (the 7) except the Uno, & when it came out of hibernation lo and behold the Uno showed up in my device manager with all drivers installed correctly, alright!, so I rewired the blink light as per instructions (the first cct in the book, 1 diode and 1 resistor, 3 wires) and modified it to flash on for 2 seconds and off for 1, I compiled it and I downloaded it to the Uno (on com port 8) and IT WORKED!
So then I tried to make the program a touch longer (cut and paste and change times for a random look) I compiled and went to download it and the Uno had gone, it said com 8 no could not be found use com 3, no communications.
I tried all the same steps again ( and again and agin) with the Uno plugged in and the Uno unplugged and got nothing, once again it has dissapeared from both the 7 and the XP, it is however working in "modified blink", but again now I cannot do anything with it! Frustrating or what?
What do you think?

Did you installed the UNO .inf file or the FTDI drivers?

Dave
I suspect that there is a driver somewhere that it taking over your port (or the computer thinks it is)

There is a program called Portmon under the windows SystemInternals suite. (Its also available seperately elsewhere).

This may show up whatever is trying to steal your port.

Out of interest you said you unplugged all the devices connected.
Just what is connected. ?
Is there a usb modem, or printer connected that you unplugged.? (HP have a usb monitor program).
More importantly, is the UNO being plugged into the actual box, or via a hub (which is what the usb ports in the screnn are).

At least its a step forward.
mark

Hi Mark,
I am working (and Arduino-ing) right now, I tried to find Portmon, on my laptop but so far no luck.
Plugged into the laptop is a wireless mouse, a HP printer (sometimes) and a wireless internet connection stick (I live in the country and that is the best / fastest / most affordable option), thats it, no USB hubs or anything. The Uno goes straight into the laptop usb port.

Bear in mind that I plugged it into the other computers, the one with XP did nothing (there is nothing at all on the USB system, even the keyboard and mouse are the old school plugs, and the computer has been reformatted and is basically as it was when it was new, there isn't even an internet connection to it. I put the unzipped Arduino 0022 into it from a flash stick via the USB port) and the other windows 7 laptop did nothing either when it was plugged in there either.

I will try and figure out which driver was installed, I pointed it to the drivers folder and it selected what it wanted to use, then worked once, then stopped, and now I cannot pull up the device on the computer to check on drivers................
As this is my first entry into dealing with the "non mainstream" parts of the computer I have a lot of catching up to do to get close to most of the other guys on here, so please be patient! Everyone has to start somewhere, I am fairly technically minded, so hopefully will start to catch on fairly quickly, we'll see.

Dave
I did see that you did have it plugged into other machines.
Regardless of whether Arduino is on the computer or not, it should still try to install a driver.
I was finding that despite the computer not talking, it did show a USB device plugged in on the task bar, and the UNO was in device manager.
In device manager you can choose to show hidden items under the view menu.
The other thing is if you click on each of the USB Root Hub icons, and click the power tab, it should show 100mA assigned to the device

I'm assuming that you have an USB icon on the task bar (when its running), so if you were to try applying sideways/up/down pressure to the USB cable at the socket end, it may show up as disconnected/connected to at least isolate a faulty socket/joint.

BTW you can run Arduino straight from the memory stick, it doesn't need to be installed (except the driver).

Portmon is not part of the operating system, you can download it from Portmon for Windows - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn or the whole suite of utilities from Sysinternals Suite - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn (they do interlink on the page).
Procmon (in the suite) is something that shows what process is running, but be warned 10mins generates some 60-75,000 items.

The fact you tried it on a number of other computers without it asking for the driver, still makes me think you have a board issue.
However its going at the moment, so enjoy, and maybe let your supplier know.

We all have to start somewhere, but the internal workings of Windows wouldn't be the first place I would have picked.

Mark

USB Root Hub.jpg