Directly Using Relays

I've got a couple small relays connected directly to my Arduino. I need more relays with similar specs. Could someone point me to relays similar to this one RadioShack.com Official Site - America's Technology Store on Digi-Key?

Thanks!

Yeah...don't connect an electromechanical relay directly to an Arduino pin.

Yea, here you go:

This one would only require 10ma of current draw from the Arduino I/O pin, about the same or less then a standard LED. It's still a good practice to wire a reversed biased diode across the relay's coil terminals. As long as you stay within max coil current specs and use a protection diode it's perfectly fine to drive a relay directly from a Arduino I/O pin.

Bye the way I couldn't find the coil current requirements of the radio shack relay you listed? You must keep the current draw from a Arduino I/O pn to less then 40ma max and less would be better.

Good luck

Lefty

Thanks for the link!

Is it safer/better to use a SSR in a situation like this?

You didn't mentioned what you are switching (voltage type, level and current ) with the relay contacts so can't say if one or the other would be better. From the coil Vs SSR input there is no big difference as far as the Arduino is concerned.

Lefty

I've got a little point and shoot camera with a bunch of the buttons wired to relays so that I can "push" the buttons with the Arduino.

From the coil Vs SSR input there is no big difference as far as the Arduino is concerned.

Huh? Coils have dangerous (to semiconductors) back-emf issues. SS relays don't.

(On the other hand, many solid state relays are designed to switch AC only.)

Huh? Coils have dangerous (to semiconductors) back-emf issues. SS relays don't.

(On the other hand, many solid state relays are designed to switch AC only.)

With installation of a back EMF diode across the coil and the built in clamping protection diodes in a AVR chip I haven't ever had a problem driving low current relays, have you?

Lefty

You can switch "push the button" with a transistor :slight_smile:

Bionic Arduino – Introduction to Microcontrollers with Arduino – todbot blog <- class 3 page 11 about transistors as switches. Great stuff!