Max amperage through Vin pin on Arduino MEGA 2560

I have a single power supply that will be powering an Arduino Mega 2560 and a solenoid. The solenoid could draw up to 2A (probably more like 1A typically, but I'd rather design for 2A). Can I use the Vin pin to draw power for the solenoid or should I split off a wire before it goes through the Arduino?

I've read that the UNO has a diode that prevents pulling more than 1A through the Vin pin. Is this true of the MEGA 2560 as well?

Thanks!

You could probably get 2A for a short while but it shouldn't be sustained. The Mega has the same diode which will dissipate too much power if 2A flows through it. It's best to split off the wire before it goes to the Arduino.

--
The MegaRAM shield: add 128 kilobytes of external RAM to your Arduino Mega/Mega2560

computerish:
I have a single power supply that will be powering an Arduino Mega 2560 and a solenoid. The solenoid could draw up to 2A (probably more like 1A typically, but I'd rather design for 2A). Can I use the Vin pin to draw power for the solenoid or should I split off a wire before it goes through the Arduino?

I've read that the UNO has a diode that prevents pulling more than 1A through the Vin pin. Is this true of the MEGA 2560 as well?

Thanks!

Yes, same diode, same design, used for polarity protection, has a nominal 1 amp continuous rating.

Lefty

Thanks. I'll splice a wire on.