Bought a MEGA 2560 knockoff, advice?

So, I decided to get started with the Arduino; and after an insufficient amount of research, I bought one of those $20 MEGA 2560 knockoffs from ebay. It's definitely a knock off - 'Design In Italy', heh. I can't tell if it's an R1 or an R2, but it's definitely not an R3. My first thought was to return it and pick up a genuine MEGA 2560 R3 for three times the price, but then I did some research and now I'm not sure what to do. From all indications, most knock-offs perform well enough, and the only apparent differences for R3 vs. R1/R2 are some advanced functions on the ATmega16U2, and some changes for shield compatibility. Also, I know the Due is now available, but the level of projects I'm working with shouldn't require the higher processing capacity, I don't intend to use any shields, and most of the stuff I'm working with will require 5v logic. So there's my dilemma. Is it worth my while to step up to a Due or a genuine MEGA 2560 R3? Or do the experts here feel as though the one I have will perform adequately for my Arduino infancy? I just don't want to waste all my time frustrated, chasing down knock-off gremlins or wishing I had picked up a more potent dev. board from the start. Insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What do you imagine funds the storage and bandwidth for this forum?
Not knock-offs, that's for sure.

AWOL:
What do you imagine funds the storage and bandwidth for this forum?
Not knock-offs, that's for sure.

Well the whole point is that I didn't know it was a knock off when I bought it. But what's done is done; unless you're suggesting I purchase a genuine dev board just for the privilege of getting someone's advice on whether or not I should buy another dev board?

If the board includes the Arduino logo I would return it and demand ALL of my money back including shipping. If they refuse, I would threaten to report them for violating the trademark. After getting my money back, I would inform the Arduino folks about the trademark violation.

Why would I do that? Because the Arduino folks have essentially one rule: don't use our trademark. Would you trust a board vendor that is incapable of following that one simple rule? I certainly would not. If they can't be bothered with a small edit on the silkscreen how likely are they to get the board designed and built correctly?

There are plenty of other vendors who are capable of following that simple rule, building boards with more features, and offering them at a lower price.

It does indeed have official logos on the front and back, even the tiny little 'boot of italy'. Maybe my original post gave the wrong impression, and I feel like it's somehow reflecting poorly upon me. I bought this board under the assumption that it was genuine (it certainly looked legit in the photos). It was only after receiving it that I did some more research and found out that knockoffs were commonplace, and how to identify them. I will indeed be returning the board, as well as the other actions you've recommended, but let's not forget that I'm the victim here. I'm just a poor college kid who went looking for a bargain on ebay and got duped with a counterfeit. I came here looking for advice - to see if I could maybe make due with what fate handed me. I certainly didn't mean to undermine official channels, nor cause any offense.

duinoob:
I'm just a poor college kid who went looking for a bargain on ebay and got duped with a counterfeit.

Sadly, you will not be the last victim. The miscreants seem to be multiplying.

I certainly didn't mean to undermine official channels, nor cause any offense.

I'm not offended. (But I'm also not an official channel.)

I'm not offended.

Nor me.

(But I'm also not an official channel.)

Me neither.