Quiet servo's ?

Are there any servo's that dont sound like a bone being crushed in a mincing machine?

All the ones I've used are loud and pretty horrible to listen to.
Surely there are some nicely slick lubricated ones which dont rely on dry cogs grinding against each other ?

If you buy expensive ones then they normally sound much better than cheap bone grinding ones.

I haven't used any that I would class as particularly quiet though.

People don't normally buy based on the sounds of them though so it's hard to say what they sound like.

Sound output is not a published specification that I know of. Your best bet would be to go to a popular R/C forum and ask about quiet servos and see what they recommend:

Lefty

Surely there are some nicely slick lubricated ones which dont rely on dry cogs grinding against each other ?

I've opened up servos and greased the plastic gears, but it doesn't change the sound level much. Metal geared servos might be quieter, but I don't have any to check.

zoomkat:

I've opened up servos and greased the plastic gears, but it doesn't change the sound level much. Metal geared servos might be quieter, but I don't have any to check.

What is probably wanted would be helical geared servos; I am not sure whether metal or plastic would make the difference, my gut feeling would be on plastic, though. I would hazard a guess that the noise of most servos comes from using a long spur gear train with straight teeth and a high-speed motor. If you could find a servo that used helical gearing, a slower motor, and a first-stage reduction using a worm gear, you would probably see a vast reduction in noise.

Just don't expect it to be cheap (if it exists at all).

Are there any servo's that dont sound like a bone being crushed in a mincing machine?

I use really cheap servos (Futbas), and I can hardly hear them above the racket of the glow-plug engines powering my model planes.