guitar frequencies

Hie,

I am novice to arduino and even little knowledge of programming in general, I am doing guitar project where I have to implement/ write code for frequency calculation, means my task is to write a code which is visualize the real frequency of the 6 strings of the acoustic guitar on a LCD. Is there any that can help me for the coding? or any suggestion I will appreciate that help

thanks

http://interface.khm.de/index.php/lab/experiments/arduino-frequency-counter-library/

thanks Magician

wen I compile the on that link, I got compile error, I think my arduino does'nt use cpp library

it does'nt recognize this line: FreqCounter::f_comp=10;
and I downloaded this file #include <FreqCounter.h>

Ducaqabe:
thanks Magician

wen I compile the on that link, I got compile error, I think my arduino does'nt use cpp library

it does'nt recognize this line: FreqCounter::f_comp=10;
and I downloaded this file #include <FreqCounter.h>

Did you download the whole library from that page and install it in .../sketchbook/libraries/ ?

thanks MarT

I just download the one in this link http://interface.khm.de/index.php/lab/experiments/arduino-frequency-counter-library/

down the in the page: Download >FreqCounter Library

I'm afraid frequency counter library won't work. It detects the frequency of a single frequency signal, and the guitar has several harmonic frequencies superimposed to the major tone, for a single guitar string. If you play all the 6 strings, probabily you get a real mess. The best approach to solve the problem would be to apply FFT (more on http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,38153.0.html), but it won't be easy. The reason is that the resulting signal is composed by the 6 string tones added to at least 3 harmonic for each tone. I believe it won't be simple to separate and to identify all these frequencies. Besides, to correctly detect the tone, the FFT shall have a resolution of at least 5 Hz (to distinguish between E2 and F2), and this means that the FFT window should be very large, depending on the sampling frequency. This makes real time frequency detection far from feasible.
I've been working on a similar problem, but I want detect a single guitar string frequency. It is still a hard problem, and I realized that FFT wouldn't run in real-time, due to the required large window (above 1024 points for 40 kHz sampling). Up to now I have an algorithm running on Matlab that gives the right frequency in real time to almost 70% of the tones (I think that I can improve it). It doesn't use FFT - it is based on zero-crossing times. If I manage to put it in the Arduino, then I will post it here.

Thanks Valcarrara for reply.
sorry, It was my fault by asking wrong/weird question, because what I want to get solution is : calculation/programming frequency of the guitar strings individually, using arduino code:
question says:
when you tone f.eks. biggest string E nr.6, we have to see the frequency of E(82 Hz) on the LCD, but just only E, and if we tune again the smallest string (e) nr.1 , we have to see 329 Hz on LCD and so on, individually at a time. we have to use zero crossing algorithm, PWM or ADC convertion using timers, but my programming knowledge is minimal , guys can you please help me how code that. Thanks

Hi
I am still waiting some help/hints about programming_ my guitar project- specifically calculating frequency of a guitar strings and displaying it on LCD. the solution I have been required is like the picture of this link. FreqCount Library, for Measuring Frequencies in the 1 kHz to 5 MHz Range
is there any one of you guys can help me on that, I am using seeeduino board , I tried to use frequency library on the above link, but I get error

thanks

Hi guys,
I need some help/hints about programming_ my guitar project- specifically calculating frequency of a guitar strings and displaying it on LCD. the solution I have been required is like the picture of this link. FreqCount Library, for Measuring Frequencies in the 1 kHz to 5 MHz Range
question is like:
1- write a progrogram that measuring/calculating frequency of a acoustic guitars string individually
2- when you tune one string it should be seen the frequency on lcd, one string at one time, use a zero-crossing filter/formula
is there any one of you guys can help me on that, I am using seeeduino board , I tried to use frequency library on the above link, but I get error

thanks

question is like:
1- write a progrogram that measuring/calculating frequency of a acoustic guitars string individually

This reads more like "Homework assignment is...".

What hardware are you using to measure anything? Specifically, how are you measuring the string vibrations individually? The code needs to be written to deal with that hardware.

2- when you tune one string it should be seen the frequency on lcd, one string at one time, use a zero-crossing filter/formula

How does "it" know when you are tuning one string vs. another?

Oh, well, that's easy. Delete line 87. That will fix the error.

I thought these two posts looked very similar, so I merged them.

Back in my childhood (14 - 15 years old) l tuned a couple of piano's, upright's with a Strobicon. We had some little felt tools that were used to mute the strings that weren't being tuned (3 strings/note) and tuning was simple. I even worked with another guy that was a pipe organ tuner and even though there were several pipes necessary for some voicing we still tuned one note at a time.. Lot of pipes in a 4 manual 17 rank pipe organ.
In my dotage I designed an FSK decoder, several as a matter of fact and it had to process the audio from an AM radio. This places several severe restrictions on what I could do due to noise, co-channel and skip reception. This was compounded by the processor speed of 400 KHz for very low power operation (the whole board with the radio drew 3.2 mA) what I finally did was to accept any 3 crossings in any bit frame that were the right perioid as a valid bit one or zero. I also repeated the message 3 times as I had no ack returned from the receiver.
Perhaps some food for thought?

Bob
{Edit RKJ)

Could you put a pickup on the guitar and pick 1 string at a time?

But you'd have to do more to get it safely into Arduino to output to LCD for visualization.

The issue with a pickup is that unless the rest of the strings are muted they will resonate too the absolute difference between any consecutive two notes is the 12th root of 2 or 1.059463... (20 more places).

Bob

Thanks PaulS and AWOL for the help,

indeed it is part of our project.
the hardware I am using,is microcontroller seeeduino ADK Mega2560 and LMD386 amplifier - when the string is tuned the signal from the guitars string should be amplified and it passed to arduino pin0 , the signal should be again filtered and finally it should be shown the frequency on LCD. the input and the output of the amplifier are connected two coils-with electro-magatics , one input couil and the other is output coil(one coil is as microphone the other coil is making vabrating the string) , the tuning is happen outomatically when the guitars string come very close to the magnatics, one string at a time. the idea is like this link:Messing around with E-bow and bottleneck on a dobro guitar. - YouTube
I attached here the picture of the system. I still need help about coding,
thanks

obs: is that line 87 of the frequency library - ?
but it is behaving like my compiler does'nt recognize c++ code
I am using arduino IDE-

obs: is that line 87 of the frequency library - ?

I like AWOL's analogy.

My car wouldn't start this morning. It's the white one. Can you tell me what is wrong?

You didn't show any code. You didn't post any error messages. You simply expected us to help you fix them.

sorry PaulS
you are right, what I want to try is to re-use the frequency counter library code/ the code on this public domain link:FreqCount Library, for Measuring Frequencies in the 1 kHz to 5 MHz Range
because I think, it is relevant my project after modifying,. I compliled the code, there is always error like this one
thanks
the code is

// Frequency Counter Lib example

/*
  Martin Nawrath KHM LAB3
  Kunsthochschule f¸r Medien Kˆln
  Academy of Media Arts
  http://www.khm.de
  http://interface.khm.de/index.php/labor/experimente/	
 */
#include <FreqCounter.h>

unsigned long frq;
int cnt;
int pinLed=13;

void setup() {
  pinMode(pinLed, OUTPUT);

Serial.begin(115200);        // connect to the serial port

Serial.println("Frequency Counter");

}

void loop() {

// wait if any serial is going on
  FreqCounter::f_comp=10;   // Cal Value / Calibrate with professional Freq Counter
  FreqCounter::start(100);  // 100 ms Gate Time

while (FreqCounter::f_ready == 0) 

frq=FreqCounter::f_freq;
  Serial.print(cnt++);
  Serial.print("  Freq: ");
  Serial.println(frq);
  delay(20);
  digitalWrite(pinLed,!digitalRead(pinLed));  // blink Led

}

header file

/*
  FreqCounter.h - Library for a Frequency Counter c.
  Created by Martin Nawrath, KHM Lab3, Dec. 2008
  Released into the public domain.
*/

#ifndef FreqCounter_h
#define FreqCounter_h

#include <avr/interrupt.h>
#if defined(ARDUINO) && ARDUINO >= 100
#include "Arduino.h"
#else
#include "WProgram.h"
#endif

namespace FreqCounter {

extern unsigned long f_freq;
	extern volatile unsigned char f_ready;
	extern volatile unsigned char f_mlt;
	extern volatile unsigned int f_tics;
	extern volatile unsigned int f_period;
	extern volatile unsigned int f_comp;

void start(int ms);

}

#endif

There is a difference between
#include <FreqCounter.h>
and

#include "FreqCounter.h"

The difference is where the compiler looks for include files. If one doesn't work, because you have not installed the library as a library, try the other one.

Thanks PoulS

now I changed header file from #include <FreqCounter.h> to
#include "FreqCounter.h"

I can see that was a part of the compile error, but still the compile problem not disappear,
new one is her: on the piture
how to install the library as library ?, sorry my novice questions?
thanks again

Docedison:
The issue with a pickup is that unless the rest of the strings are muted they will resonate too the absolute difference between any consecutive two notes is the 12th root of 2 or 1.059463... (20 more places).

Bob

Sure, you won't get a perfectly clean sine wave. A pickup will also get effect from the guitar body sound box. Yet somehow an A sounds like an A, those resonances add a little tone is all.

You want just the string, do like Les Paul did and get a piece of train track.. or a hardwood 4x4. But then it's not an acoustic guitar.