Easy to use rf transceiver chip.

Hi, I am building a few PCB's for my home automation project. I am looking for a RF transceiver chip that is super easy to use. I just don't want to use a module that is pre-made because it will be cheaper and easier on my end to do it this way! THanks :slight_smile:

Your question makes no sense.
What do you mean by , you dont want to use a pre made module.?
Do you want to build your own module , in which case forget it, its too complex a task.

In my opinion, none of the transceiver chips are easy to use. They feature many options, like frequency selection, data encoding, checksums, encryption, etc. and consequently, a fair amount of setup and operational code is required to just to make them work at all.

Couple that with documentation that is usually poorly written and difficult to navigate and you have a major task ahead of you. On the other hand, some of the modules are quite cheap and do offer simple modes of operation. Check out the Pololu Wixel for a cheap option that allows simple operation with preprogammed libraries, or much more sophisticated user-definable operations.

ilovearduinosomuch:
" I am looking for a RF transceiver chip that is super easy to use"
" I just don't want to use a module that is pre-made because it will be cheaper and easier on my end to do it this way!"

Sorry but easy and premade most if the time come together.
I recommend Xbee.

I own xbee's. they are ripoffs for when you need 50 of them. This is the type of module I was looking for...........

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/690 - 2.4GHz Transceiver IC - nRF24L01+

Do let us know how you get on with that chip!

I've used the nRF24L01+ for a project, and it's fairly easy to use. Though why buy the bare chip when, for the same price you can buy a module with a matching network and PCB trace antenna already on it?