GDPR violation

Delta_G:
No, I still think letting judges decide what is or is not a scam is better than trying to anticipate the laws.

Judges are not immune from bribery and corruption any more than anyone else. Among other things laws allow us to hold the judges to account.

However my comment about laws to regulate cookies arose from concerns about breaches of privacy rather than the activity of criminal scammers. of course if it make life a bit more difficult for the scammers, so much the better.

...R

Yes judge says can be bribed. But which is worse, a local judge gets bribed and the people in one town suffer for it, or a legislator gets bribed and everyone in the whole country suffers for it? At least with judges you gotta spread your bribes around a bit. Right now there's a one stop shop.

And your point about cookies was exactly my point. It won't protect privacy, at least not for long. Now, cookies are a little more inconvenient. But the problems that they originally solved still remain. Pretty soon there will be something that helps to solve those same problems but doesn't bother you with a pop-up every time. People will love it. They are already hating the pop-up ( see another thread in this section). Once that thing comes out it will be safe. Until it isn't. Until someone figures out how to use it to breach your privacy. Then we will wait for years until they make a new law and push that thing out of vogue and something even newer and more dangerous comes along. That law will literally push things down the path to less privacy. You watch.

Delta_G:
Yes judge says can be bribed. But which is worse, a local judge gets bribed and the people in one town suffer for it, or a legislator gets bribed and everyone in the whole country suffers for it?

The difference is that judges often work alone whereas legislators (in democracies) don't.

I am not claiming the "rule" system is perfect, or even good - just the best that is available. And I have no doubt that there are some silly laws, and laws that people don't like, but having been a civil servant helping to create laws I do believe that the people who create them do so with the best of intentions.

...R

Throwing this in the wind

And if you dig even just a little you will see they have already found ways around the EU rules from as far back as 2013. Well before the rule was implemented.

I do believe that the people who create them do so with the best of intentions.

Like the EU "standardised cabbage" ? Or the EU "curvature of bananas allowed to be sold" rules ?
Both of which were modified quite quickly as rules would go.

Now don't get me wrong here as the ORIGINAL INTENTION of the EU was a fine thing for a "COMMON MARKET" but it has burgeoned out of control with almost zero accountability and become a bureaucratic nightmare.

Time for a complete REBOOT !

Robin2:
The difference is that judges often work alone whereas legislators (in democracies) don't.

I am not claiming the "rule" system is perfect, or even good - just the best that is available. And I have no doubt that there are some silly laws, and laws that people don't like, but having been a civil servant helping to create laws I do believe that the people who create them do so with the best of intentions.

...R

Don't get hung on judge vs legislator. What I really mean is local vs federal.

See, my local legislators and judges and city counsel, they have another BIG advantage over the congressman working in Washington or wherever. They are directly answerable to me. I know where they live and where they go to church and if they are cheating and taking bribes I, and my community, can directly handle that. I can go straight to them and talk about it. Or fight about it if need be. They have incentive to do me right because they're right here with me.

My congressman is untouchable. Even if he does completely piss off everyone in my community by say approving the dumping of toxic waste or sewage (real situation) then there's still nothing that can be done. I can't talk directly to him. I can't approach him. I'd probably get arrested just trying to get in the building. The congressman in Washington is completely insulated from me or ever having to face anything that he has done to me or my community. They have no incentive to worry about me, only themselves.

And don't talk about voting. If people cared enough to educate themselves and know what they were voting about and for then maybe that could help. But today people just pick team read or team blue based entirely on cultural feelings and votes with no regard for what it really means. I think that's all easier when you're dealing with people who you know personally and not characters who make themselves out to be whatever they want to be on TV commercials and flyers on your door knob. Either way, the process of the vote has been lost, in the US at least. I am for a IQ test before people are allowed to vote. Maybe not IQ, but some sort of test that determines if you are aware of what is going on and not just picking R's or D's indiscriminately.

Either way, my point is that more control in the hands of local governments and a state government that only deals with matters between communities and a federal government that only deals with matters between states would be a better way.

I do believe that the people who create them do so with the best of intentions.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions they say. Only when those people learn to understand that they CAN'T anticipate any situation and stop trying to make a one-size-fits-all law that takes all human feeling and judgement out of the equation. There are a great many people who have run afoul of those same laws who had just as good if not better intentions. Those intentions should count for something more than the letters of the law.

And no, I don't believe for one second that the legislators in Washington have anything of good intention for me. They are ONLY concerned with getting themselves re-elected and garnering votes. To get votes you don't have to have your constituents best interests in mind anymore. We've broken our democracy with our refusal to abate our ignorance and it just doesn't work that way anymore. Now to get votes all the congressman needs to do is put on the right face every few years and claim that the other guy is a (pick one of the many buzzwords here). Make claims and nobody will check. And anyone who does check, call them "fake media" and the ones on our side will certainly agree because they'd rather agree with something stupid than to admit that they were wrong.

The whole thing is broken.

Delta_G:
The whole thing is broken.

Let me know when you get it fixed. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

...R

Wawa:
None of that crap here in NZ (yet).

Does this have to do with that stupid ass-covering EU cookie law?
Every dumbass must know by now that every site tries to sell your information to whoever wants to pay for it.
If you don't want that, you shouldn't use the internet at all.
Leo..

is not about cookie, the GDPR is about tracking any personal information, and he fine are up to 5% of global yearly profit. You may be ok to have internet counting how hairy is your back, here in EU we don-t like it and trying to change the game

Delta_G:
Sure you've made people tell when they're using cookies

you are confusing the GDPR (new) with the old cookie law. The GDPR is not only about cookie or even internet, but about privacy in all its form, like how company has to keep save personal information about its emploee, customer, and all this kind of stuff. Please before giving sentence be sure you know what you are talking about.

́@Delta_G: EU may not be perfect, but to have some chance to stay relevant against the political and economical power like US, Russia, China, India... you cant't only think of your garden hoping what happen around you will never influence you.
Hopefully before we will have a "global order" we will have escaped this gravity well.
Meanwhile i say thanks to EU for the Euro, so i can travel without problem changing money(ever had to change money? they commission are a steal!), without having to pass any frontier, of course with my free healthcare valid by default everywhere (i would need to apply if i come to US for a special extension), to place an order without paying any tax over my state VAT (30% more from china for more than ~30euro order), that I can work and live abroad without any special permission/green card or such (and i guess my boss is happy too), that my mobile internet offer is valid in any state for no cost (ah the day to find a free wifi to check for a nice place to eat, find an alternative for a cancelled train, or simply tell your love you arrive and all is fine).. and those are only the thing i directly deal with day by day.

Wait I have hair on my back !
Dang I never knew that but it will be a low count anyway :wink:
Tie knots on the chest ones so they dont sneak back in...up to about 6 now.

ballscrewbob:
Wait I have hair on my back !
Dang I never knew that but it will be a low count anyway :wink:
Tie knots on the chest ones so they dont sneak back in...up to about 6 now.

This set of rules are mostly to let people know hat is collected and force the company to use adequate measure to protect the data.

Of course there is no perfect security, but we want to avoid an new Equifax scandal, no?

We want to avoid boss staring to monitor its personal on how many times you go to the bathroom while working, what you do after work... because GDPR is also about those stuff, the changes on Internet is almost a "side effect".

you are confusing the GDPR (new) with the old cookie law. The GDPR is not only about cookie or even internet, but about privacy in all its form, like how company has to keep save personal information about its emploee, customer, and all this kind of stuff. Please before giving sentence be sure you know what you are talking about.

No I was just pointing at the cookie law. The rest will be the same. Things will be better for a short time and then the nefarious forces that be will figure their way around the law and the law will be useless.

The answer isn't a law. The answer is for the people to take their information hygiene into their own hands. If you don't want these people to have your information, then stop giving it to them. Stop blindly using tools you don't understand on the internet. Or at least educate yourself on how they work. Remember, all that added convenience ALWAYS comes at a cost. TNSTAAFL. If you aren't paying for the product then YOU ARE THE PRODUCT.

I'm not saying the rule is bad. I'm just saying that if you're relying on it to keep your information safe then you are a fool. The only person whose behavior you can control is yourself.

About our cookie policy please see we ask for consent "before" setting any kind of cookie, then if you explicitly click consent (so you excplicifty agree on the level of cookie to be set) then we start setting cookies and the pre-defined cookie policy is "profiling". Users can either change the policy and the consent, or avoid consent completely. This is really not only respectful for users but also GDPR compliant.

mastrolinux:
About our cookie policy please see we ask for consent "before" setting any kind of cookie,

Otherwise would be straight illegal

mastrolinux:
then if you explicitly click consent (so you excplicifty agree on the level of cookie to be set)

The law required an informed and clear consent.
There is no indication your default setting is profiling, and you need to open a separate page to see/change it.
I would not call this "respectful", even if legal (many website do it, but that does not mean is right) I would consider it a subterfuge to be "good enough" for the law.

Delta_G:
Stop blindly using tools you don't understand on the internet. Or at least educate yourself on how they work. Remember, all that added convenience ALWAYS comes at a cost.

this world live because of specialization. And i CANT take care of my own privacy, for example i cannot control how company store and use my data (GDPR), and i cannot control if someone fill the city with camera and track people (is illegal in many EU country to cover your face, well before recent terrorism)

Delta_G:
TNSTAAFL. If you aren't paying for the product then YOU ARE THE PRODUCT.

then how it work with opensource? there are people that give their work for free. They are called volunteer, they give shelter, food, protection, firefighting, first health..
World can be differen, you just have to look at the right example, of course wont come from someone who have to fill the wallet of its investors.

Anyone for moving this to BAR SPORT ?

this world live because of specialization. And i CANT take care of my own privacy, for example i cannot control how company store and use my data (GDPR), and i cannot control if someone fill the city with camera and track people (is illegal in many EU country to cover your face, well before recent terrorism)

Then you are expecting too much. People 100 years ago didn't have these problems. Now here is this tool, the internet, which allows you to do some wonderful things. But like all tools it comes with some dangers. You either become educated on those dangers or you run afoul of them. Making a law isn't going to help. It will for a short time, but then people will figure out how to skirt that law and you'll be right back in the same hole with your privacy.

You seem to have the expectation that you can have all the benefit without the price. And I tell you that is impossible. You'll keep trying, but I promise you that in 100 years more if the internet is still around privacy will still be a sticky issue. That's just the nature of how the thing works.

then how it work with opensource? there are people that give their work for free. They are called volunteer, they give shelter, food, protection, firefighting, first health..

With open source you are paying with your time when you write the code. As for just downloading and using, yes you are the product there. Go to one of those pages where you download some free open source software. See those ads? Someone has monetized your eyeballs. You may not be aware of it, but you are the product there. It's not coming to you for free. It's just that you aren't paying directly. The people making these things are still set to benefit from them.

Firefighters and EMTs get paid. I'm not sure why you include them.

Additionally, the firefighter example is a little off. That is not really a product.

There's something called the "Democracy of Defacation" if you will. This is the concept that the wealthy in the town have to pay for sewer services for even the poor else they still end up with crap everywhere. There are some things that you need other people to have even if your motives are completely self centered.

The same it is with fire. I don't necessarily have to help put out the fire at your house from altruistic reasons. Even if I don't like you and don't care for your house, I still have to help you put it out lest it catch my house on fire.

As for EMTs and ambulance rides, well those definitely aren't free. Those are actually pretty pricey. You may live in a country where you don't directly see the bill, but that doesn't mean you don't pay the price.

ballscrewbob:
Anyone for moving this to BAR SPORT ?

i belive the GDPR issue is valid and shoudl say there, but there is a bunch of messages that can be cut off and moved to the bar

From the news i saw the first GDPR violation fine are landing, and with them it should be a little bit clearer where is the limit of what can and cant be done

it should be a little bit clearer where is the limit of what can and cant be done

LOL ok whatever you say...All it does is set a bar and this "gdpr" can lawfully be broken by methods above the bar which is what we have mostly all said.

So when you cant get on your favourite web sites because you do not accept thier policy please dont come running here and cry foul. In essence that's about the lowest they can go.

"Dont like it fine go look elsewhere we are complying with your rule thing." will be the new benchmark.

Maybe is my broken english, but to me seems like you are making fun of me and my opinion.

You are a moderator, you should not need me to moderate you ::slight_smile:

you may be ok or not ok with the law, you problem, but is there and state the use have to make an informate decision, and i believe it is not clear as can be, with little effort.

I am also allowed an opinion.
Unless that was withdrawn by the EU ?
In which case I am pulling out my Canadian card on the topic.

Others besides myself have pointed out how crazy this rule is as there are so many ways around it.
As with many other laws created in many cases to suit things those in charge often do not have any understanding in.

Std banana straightness. Std Cabbage size, Your country will take how ever many refugees we deem acceptable. We will spend the money you pay into the EU as we see fit including wine for our pleasure only.

The only thing we agree on is a right to privacy...I take mine into my own hands and don't expect it handed to me on a dirty unwashed plate with god only knows what else on there.

ballscrewbob:
I am also allowed an opinion.

yes you are, but I feel you are personally attacking me, and that is NOT an opinion, but harassment, and coming from a mod, abuse of power.

Anyway, talking to a friend he managed to point out the article 32:

(32)
Consent should be given by a clear affirmative act establishing a freely given, specific, informed and unambiguous indication of the data subject's agreement to the processing of personal data relating to him or her, such as by a written statement, including by electronic means, or an oral statement. This could include ticking a box when visiting an internet website, choosing technical settings for information society services or another statement or conduct which clearly indicates in this context the data subject's acceptance of the proposed processing of his or her personal data.
Silence, pre-ticked boxes or inactivity should not therefore constitute consent.
Consent should cover all processing activities carried out for the same purpose or purposes. When the processing has multiple purposes, consent should be given for all of them. If the data subject's consent is to be given following a request by electronic means, the request must be clear, concise and not unnecessarily disruptive to the use of the service for which it is provided.

in particular the passage in red is our case, a pre-ticked box to maximum consent.

Therefore the selection is not GDPR compliant and should be fixed.