Open source Project / Hardware

OK I know I said I would shut up for a bit, but this is very interesting. I somehow missed this on the Linux Mark Institute's site. they now issue worldwide licenses to basically anyone who wants one, for free, as in beer and software. To quote their home page:

"LMI has restructured its sublicensing program. Our new sublicense agreement is:

• Free — approved sublicense holders pay no fees
  • Perpetual — sublicense terminates only in breach of the agreement or when your organization ceases to use its mark
  • Worldwide — one sublicense covers your use of the mark anywhere in the world "

Seems pretty darned reasonable! You can start a global "Linux whatever" business.. for ;Dfree ;D!
There are not enough smiley features in this forum to show my pleasure about this.

That's linux, used by millions. What will we do for the massive crowd of 12,000 using Arduino? Maybe the same policy times 10-2?

D

edit: here are some example LMI sublicenses issued last year, in perpetuity, globally, and for free:

Total Linux®
Sublicense number: 20061106-0024
Linux Sublicense Version: v2.0
Issuance date: 11/7/06 17:47:54 UTC

Linux Express®
Sublicense number: 20061106-0025
Issuance date: 11/7/06 17:48:01 UTC

Linux Kernel Internals®
Sublicense number: 20061109-0029
Issuance date: 11/9/06 23:12:54 UTC

SHIFT LINUX®
Sublicense number: 20061107-0027
Issuance date: 11/9/06 23:12:23 UTC

Linux Kinetics
Sublicense number: 20061127-0039

Pioneer Linux
Sublicense number: 20070224-0066

Q-Linux
Sublicense number: 20070218-0060

{Warning: humour}
Wow! people must be so confused about what Linux is, with all those different names with tthe word Linux in them! Quality has totally taken a nosedive: do you think Linux even works anymore? I heard they were using an early version of Linux on the Titanic! And someone just said that Britney Spears is releasing her own Linux: BrittneyLinux®!!! GASP! The capitalists and the cheesy pop musicians are taking over Linux! At this rate Linux will almost certainly be made in factories by small children! Omigod, LINUX Is going down the tubes.....I'm so confused, I don;t know whether to get BrittLinux®, or Linux 2.0 for Seniors®!!
{end humour}

I don't mean to denigrate the valuable opinions that are being expressed here, I just wanted to put a little humorous spin on things. It is pretty clear that if Linux, a product that at one point in the 90's caused wild speculation on the stock market for its commercial potential, is not afraid, we shouldn't be.