Ethernet shield - home automation and access from outside home

I was exposed to Arduino last July and now I have a robot with IR, UltraSonic and Voice command. Another project I did was the server using ethernet shield for home automation. However, I could not access the server from outside our home. Luckily I saw a post on MIT app inventor, suggesting an APP would solve the problem and it did. Creating an APP with MIT app inventor is very easy. The home TPLink router accepted the 'client' as MIT is a secure site. I have seen a lot of posts on this issue here suggesting hardware and software. But I think this is the simplest solution - hence wanted to share with you.

...and?
What are you sharing?
Perhaps you'd like to explain - it sounds like you have ducked past NAT /port forwarding... which doesn't sound like a very secure model to work with.

If the Arduino is an IP client going out to some 'external' server for user access, that somewhat limits the ability to 'log in' to your home platform...
Effectively leaving your home network security 'in the cloud'.

lastchance - i am no expert on networking or whatever jargon you use. I have made a statement here only. Router did not allow access to our ethernet when i tried the ip address of my server but using the MIT APP i manged to access my server. that's all. Use your own safe methods of doing this.