Go Down

Topic: controllers and drivers and esc (Read 93 times) previous topic - next topic

ketanco

Hello,
What is the difference between motor driver, motor controller, servo driver servo controller and ESC.
Which are more suitable for hobby robotics projects?

slipstick

They're all names that are used differently by different manufacturers/sellers. If you have particular examples that you've seen then post links.

Hobby robotics projects usually need servos  but these can be controlled directly by an Arduino. They also often need DC motors, brushed or brushless, and these can be driven by ESCs and/or motor drivers depending on the type and what exactly they're intended to do.

If you have a particular "hobby robotics project" in mind you'll probably get more useful answers.

Steve

sdturner

May 16, 2017, 08:57 pm Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:58 pm by sdturner
Hello,
What is the difference between motor driver, motor controller, servo driver servo controller and ESC.
Which are more suitable for hobby robotics projects?
None of these terms are clearly defined, except perhaps ESC. Which is most suitable depends on what you want to do. In general...

A motor driver will be a low level circuit to drive a motor, often an H-bridge and often just a breakout board. It requires a signal from a microprocessor, sometimes serial (UART, SPI, I2C) and sometimes a PWM and direction signals.

A motor controller is more developed product often having a display and a knob or buttons to control the speed, power or position of a motor. Usually these are more expensive and stand alone, but sometimes get commands from a PC or microcontroller.

A servo driver is an add-on board allowing a microcontroller or computer to drive servos. It takes a command from the micro or PC and generates the PWM signal for the servo(s).

I don't remember hearing the name servo controller except maybe in the context of animation and motion control. I think it would be a programmable device that can "remember" sequences to automate displays

An Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) is usually a motor driver for RC vehicles. The input signal is a PWM signal the same as a servo and it generates the drive signals for the motor, usually Brushless DC Motors.

Go Up