Arduino error on launch (osx intel)

One thing to note is that you should still be able to upload sketches to the board despite that exception. If the program currently on the board sends or receives serial data, you may need to reset and hit the upload button twice. I'll try to take a look at the RXTX site and see what the deal is.

Just tried it on my MacBook Pro.

1. Compiling rxtx lib from source made Arduino IDE launch successfully, as reported before.
  2. Compiling sketches works.
  3. Uploading a program (double counter example) works occasionally after hitting reset button twice.
  4. Serial monitor in Arduino IDE does not work.
  5. While program is running, on-board RX LED is the only feedback (blinks in intervals of 1000 ms in this example)
  6. RX LED stops blinking after approximately 60 seconds (blinking like 53 or 54 times, I even counted)

Any clues? Might #6 be an issue to be discussed elsewhere? I observed this effect on two separate Arduino boards that I have available here (connected to the mactel when trying, not tested on a PC machine yet). The example program itself should loop forever and continue serialWriting, right?

There might be a clue to help us here -

http://mailman.qbang.org/pipermail/rxtx/Week-of-Mon-20060306/006521.html

all this may not be necessary if you don't mind using windows XP on your shinny new Intel Mac.....

macOS Ventura - Apple :smiley:

There might be a clue to help us here -

http://mailman.qbang.org/pipermail/rxtx/Week-of-Mon-20060306/006521.html

created the var/lock/ directory (being uucp group member), checked for pre-existing /var/spool/uucp/ lock files... didn't help. did you succeed?

meanwhile, I'm having a hard time figuring out the appropriate interval for pressing the reset button twice.

as to that xp bootcamp solution... hmmm... it just doesn't feel right. :-/
(gonna try it, anyways.)

(gonna try it, anyways.)

tell me about it, i bought a mac for a reason, the reason being its not running windoze.

(gonna try it, anyways.)

tell me about it, i bought a mac for a reason, the reason being its not running windoze.

OK, things get a little off-topic now. I didn't get to try boot camp yet, but others did. Make sure you read the comments on this, too.

The new Processing release (112) is working with a bluetooth serial device and Macbook for me.

They have updated the serial port script to set up the correct folder - worked first time here.

May be useful info for Arduino.

Cheers

Nick

Have finally had time to try arduino with Mactel.

I 'm not very fluent with building from source so took a copy of the librxtxSerial.jnilib from processing 112 and found RXTXcomm.jar in the arduino package so replaced it with the one from processing.
Have run new setup serial script from Processing.
Using latest ftdi drivers for intel mac.
Arduino launches and lists serial ports under tools.

Have programmed arduino using Powerbook to send letter and flash led.

Processing receives transmitted letter from arduino, Zterm recieves letter and so does serial monitor in Arduino.

At first got lots of programmer not responding messages on attempting upload.

Edited prefs file serial.download_rate to 9600 and then it worked.

Currently programming with single reset press (although this is currently while arduino is only blinking led, not sending message to computer).

So for me it is currently working on a Mactel. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Cheers

Nick

Hello all,

nick: where exactly did you find the RXTXcomm.jar file? I replaced the ibrxtxSerial.jnilib file with the one from processing, but I am not able to replace any RXTXcomm.jar file, since I cannot find it within the arduino package.

So when I start arduino and then go to the TOOLS-menue I get the following error-message:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver

I am working on a Intel-Mac and have installed the latest ftdi drivers.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you,
-Helge

ok, I could solve the problem now. If anybody else is interested, I write how it´s done:

Within the arduino program the file RXTXcomm.jar file which you have to replace with the one from processing is found here:

right-click on arduino 03.app and choose "show packet contents". Then goto contents/ressources/java/
There you´ll find the RXTXcomm.jar file.

With now both the RXTXcomm.jar file and the ibrxtxSerial.jnilib file having replaced with the files found in processing, it all works well, it seems. (as nick has stated before)

Regards,
Helge

Sorry should have left slightly clearer explanation - I was running off to play with it more :wink:

Cheers

Nick

Uh-oh, something went wrong.

In my first approach, I compiled rxtx and just tossed librxtxSerial.jnilib into the Arduino directory (regular version 03 then). Java exceptions persisted, but programming the board worked occasionally (pressing RESET twice and stuff).

Now, in order to get the whole thing tidy and clean, I gave it a new try. Erased the Arduino folder in Libraries (the one with preferences.txt), then used the current macpro 03 release of Arduino, put in both librxtxSerial.jnilib and RXTXComm.jar from Processing 114 (in proper locations each), this time not using the files that I compiled myself. Ran macosx_setup.command from Processing (as suggested by Nick) and even restarted.
No matter what and how often I try, I keep getting "[VP 1] Device is not responding correctly." error messages. Tried it with and without setting download rate to 9600 in preferences.text, btw.
Isn't this the setup that works fine for most of you mactel guys right now?

My Wiring boards do still work properly on the mactel machine (same USB port), so I guess the FTDI driver is OK, too. The particular board I'm using can easily be programmed on a Windows machine, it's fine.

What might be wrong? I guess I need to start over once again... will I also have to get rid of the FTDI driver and re-install it?

Which macosx_setup.command did you run? I think you need to use the script from Processing (not the one from Arduino), as RXTX changed some things between the version in Arduino 0003 and the newer one in the latest versions of Processing.

Which macosx_setup.command did you run? I think you need to use the script from Processing (not the one from Arduino), as RXTX changed some things between the version in Arduino 0003 and the newer one in the latest versions of Processing.

I ran the one that came with Processing, as did Nick. The release I used was 0114.
The script goes for /var/lock/ (to be owned by group uucp) instead of /var/spool/uucp as in previous versions. /var/spool/uucp does not contain any left-over lock files on my machine.

Hi,

To let you know, I tried the Arduino 003 download for intelMacs on the download page and got the same error that was seen at the start of this thread. I then thought I'd start from scratch.
So downloaded Arduino-004 for PPC Macs and followed the instructions in this thread. At present I have the same problem as LLPZ, in that I always get the ""[VP 1] Device is not responding correctly." error. I've checked all the baud rates etc........
The RX light flashes green, then the error is displayed, so I guess some communication is occurring. It is a USB Arduino board....

plaidTortiose.

Ok,
Have consistently got it working now having done the file repleacements mentioned earlier in the thread on both Arduino 003 & Arduino 004. There is a bit of a knack to upload to the board (its a USB one) though.....

To get it to work I hold down the reset button, click the Upload button and wait a couple of seconds. Then I release the button and a second or so later both the TX and RX Leds on the board light up and both start flashing. The upload then occurs.

Releasing the Reset button before clicking on Upload results in the error, 'Programmer is not responding', and the previously uploaded program continues running on the board prior to either green LED flashing. (speculation: which suggests to me that the upload is taking too long to commence and some form of timeout is occurring?)

plaidTortoise

Ok,
Releasing the Reset button before clicking on Upload results in the error, 'Programmer is not responding', and the previously uploaded program continues running on the board prior to either green LED flashing. (speculation: which suggests to me that the upload is taking too long to commence and some form of timeout is occurring?)

Yea, the compilation process is probably taking too long. I should add this to the FAQ. Thanks for the report.

Also, the librxtxSerial.jnilib that comes with Arduino 0004 should be a Universal file. Has anyone gotten Arduino 0004 to work on a MacTel machine without replacing this file?

Hi,
Extrange but I use arduino 4 and 3 on Mac intel and Windows too. The program works in both and having some erros "programmer is not respond". I don't modificate files but, when i don't use the same sequence for upload, this works great! I press verify and after upload in I/O board and after press reset program in a board.

I think that is can occours because the mac is more slow for compile and upload in a board for usb cable. In arduino 0004 i wait a litle bit more for press reset button and works too.

OBS:I download the latest drive ftdi for universal binary e not install keyspan drivers.
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/UniBin/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_0.dmg