What's faster to read/write: SD card, USB Pen, ...

I need more memory to store information for my midi sequencer. So I wonder, what's faster/easier/... SD cards, USB Pen Drive or even an extra EEPROM chip?

I know I can store data in the flash-memory, but from what I could see, its read-only, right?

Also, the included SRAM is not enough. Imagine 400,000 midi events, thats going to take much more memory.

Any help?

Thanks.

Wk

SD cards.

Pen drives have all the file system complications (FAT, etc) of SD-cards, but would also require hardware and firmware to deal with their USB-ness.

EEPROM is potentially easier to deal with on the Arduino side, but not from elsewhere, and they are MUCH smaller than SD cards.

"Faster" isn't really going to be an issue for a MIDI sequencer.

[edit]So I wonder, what's faster/easier/... SD cards, USB Pen Drive or even an extra EEPROM chip?[/edit]

Forget about USB drive... it would be pretty difficult to interface it with Arduino. In terms of speed, according to my experience, an I2C EEPROM probably is going to be the fastest and very little code is needed.

I know I can store data in the flash-memory, but from what I could see, its read-only, right?

No Flash memory can be written and re-written.

Imagine 400,000 midi events, thats going to take much more memory.

Hopefully, you are not going to load all data at once.

Thanks guys. So SD card it is, as its easy to backup to a computer, compared to an extra EEPROM. :wink:

And yes, been a midi sequencer the SD card read/write speed should be enough.

I'm also taking a look at the XMOS kit, which is also great, but too expensive for me right now... :frowning:

Wk