Other Serial Devices than ttyUSBx and ttySx

Greetings,

I have a suggeston concerning the IDE and it's serial port management:

Right now the IDE detects traditional serial ports only (/dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyS0 for instance). It would be quiet usefull to programm arduinos with bluetooth serial devices (/dev/rfcomm0) or infrared or things like that natively.

That shouldn't be too much of an endeavour.

Didn't know how to post it on the playground...

Unfortunately, all we get is what the RXTX libs return when we ask for an enumeration of all the com ports. I haven't tried what we get with the more modern javax.comm libs instead of the gnu.io used in Arduino.

It wouldn't be too hard to tweak the IDE so that you could enter your own port if you knew what it was. Of course, the same result can be had simply by setting the com port in the config that Arduino reads on startup.

That being said, what is returned on a particular system or platform is going to highly specific to that system or platform. For example, without the FTDI device attached to my Mac, all I see are the Bluetooth TTY devices:

clvrmnky@thor:~ $ java -cp .:/Users/clvrmnky/Developer/arduino-0015/Arduino\ 15.app/Contents/Resources/Java/RXTXcomm.jar \
  -Djava.library.path=/Users/clvrmnky/Developer/arduino-0015/Arduino\ 15.app/Contents/Resources/Java \
  HelloPort
Experimental:  JNI_OnLoad called.
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7
Found comport: /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
Found comport: /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
Found comport: /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem
Found comport: /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
clvrmnky@thor:~ $