Which Arduino to buy (Beginner)?

I am new to this field , and want to build some small and medium projects on Adruino
I am well acquainted with C/C++ and I am confused about selecting a board

Which board should I chose and what more(e.g. sensors,shields) should I but with it?

I am looking at
http://www.simplelabs.co.in/content/arduino-uno
Arduino UNO Rev 3

But I am also confused over Leonardo !! It has more analog inputs and pswm inputs
also uno can be restored even after short circuiting it!

Please help me with the choice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uno can be restored even after short circuiting it!

No not always.

I would pick a Uno, it is the simplest and most straightforward.

For the beginner I would suggest the Uno R2 with DIP package 326 processor. The reason being that the chip is easily replaced should it get harmed (I have replaced a couple myself). As for parts, what are your intrests? For robotics you would need to study motor control and sensors like rangefinders etc. For lighting projects (LED cube, LED strips) you would study multiplexing and shift registers.
Have fun!

Edit: Uno R2 should be R3.

I dont think r2 is available in India!!
whats the difference between r2 and r3 ?

I am a little bent towards robotics side

Sorry, typo on my part. I meant R3.

ok...what else do i need to buy ... assuming I will go to robotics side

A motor shield and some motors. Maybe a sensor or two as well.

Like Grumpy_Mike said. I would add motors with encoders (to measure motor rotations and thus distance) and for starters maybe a rangefinder (like the HC-SR04 or Ping), switches for bumpers and a servo to make a scanner with the rangefinder. Learning those and incorporating them together will get you started. There a tons of kits with the chassis and motors available. I started with an old Roomba that I got cheap at a yard sale. A big decision is what type of drive system to use. There are 2 wheel drive, four wheel drive, tracks, differential steering. Ackerman steering.

DIP package 326 processor

Another TYPO :astonished: :stuck_out_tongue:

Where are you located , please mention location always ,I'm on the outskirts of New Delhi.

You may buy this Learning Kit from PotentialLabs and play around with Arduino. After some familiarity, you may then choose specific components.

I am looking at
Arduino UNO Rev 3

As you are beginner (and looking at products from Simple Labs) I don't think It would be a bad idea to look at the InduinoX board by Simple Labs. It is an UNO clone (and the latest one is an UNO R3 clone), and contains many features useful to a beginner, like LED's, Buttons and some sensors attached to the board. This makes it easy to learn and saves the time which you might spend fiddling with a breadboard.

There are a lot of other alternatives, like the Freeduino USB from probots.co.in. Unlike the InduinoX it has no additional features and is a lot cheaper (available for about Rs. 650). You can find it here at : Probots - Largest DIY Electronics, Robotics & Engineering Parts Buy Online Store Buy Online India

And if you are not a fan of clones I would recommend using the Arduino UNO. Even if the leonardo has got more PWM outs and more analog ins I don't recommend it to a beginner because if you kill it somehow (which is likely to happen if you experiment A LOT) .. replacing the IC can be troublesome, whereas in the UNO you can easily replace your dead IC for a new one simply at home.

sid3695:
I am new to this field , and want to build some small and medium projects on Adruino
I am well acquainted with C/C++ and I am confused about selecting a board

Which board should I chose and what more(e.g. sensors,shields) should I but with it?

I am looking at
Arduino UNO Rev 3

But I am also confused over Leonardo !! It has more analog inputs and pswm inputs
also uno can be restored even after short circuiting it!

Please help me with the choice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always select controller depend on project you are doing.If it study purpose use below link.
http://www.digibay.in/109-dbduino-nano-3-atmega328-arduino-compatible-clone