[HELP] Arduino Wifi Controller [URGENT]

Hi everyone, I am facing problems with the use of Arduino.
I have just a little knowledge about Arduino.
I am now handling a project which could control the device through the internet.
And now my problems are :

1. how does Arduino connect with my device (Vacuum Cleaner) in order to let it control through the internet? Example codes?
  2. can Arduino contact with XBee (wireless control) ? both using the same language?
  3. which Arduino should I choose for this project? Arduino Ethernet Shield or Arduino Wifi Shield?

Thousands of thanks for those who willing to help me to solve it.
I need some guidance now :~

callmegill:

1. how does Arduino connect with my device (Vacuum Cleaner) in order to let it control through the internet? Example codes?

That entirely depends on what hardware you have.
2) can Arduino contact with XBee (wireless control) ? both using the same language?
Yes, the Arduino's can communicate with XBees.

3) which Arduino should I choose for this project? Arduino Ethernet Shield or Arduino Wifi Shield?

Ethernet vs WiFi depends entirely on your requirements.

Hi Arrch, thanks for you reply.
What if I would like to chose Arduino Wifi Shield as my hardware?
what should be considered in order to take my first step of making this project?
What software to use for the communication between XBee and Arduino? using X-CTU? but it is just for transferring data.

Sorry for asking too many questions as I am still fresh about Arduino.
Thanks again :drooling_face:

callmegill:
Hi Arrch, thanks for you reply.
What if I would like to chose Arduino Wifi Shield as my hardware?

Then I would say fantastic.

what should be considered in order to take my first step of making this project?

The usuals: range, power, cost, features, compatibility.

What software to use for the communication between XBee and Arduino? using X-CTU? but it is just for transferring data.

Where is the XBee coming from; I thought this was a WiFi project?

I think you need a more concrete project definition and better defined requirements before you start buying hardware.
[/quote]

One way the vacuum cleaner can be controlled by your Arduino is through a relay. You can basically turn it on and off. Moving the vacuum cleaner around is a bit more challenging.
To send the commands to Arduino through the internet, you would need to run a web server on your it, either using the WiFi shield or the Ethernet shield. WiFi shield would make the device portable, if this is what you need.
As Arrch said, you should give more details on your project.

Thanks Florinc.
Here are my details of my vacuum cleaner.
There should be 3 buttons, 1 for choosing mode (Wifi, Auto, Manual), 1 for selecting the mode, and the other 1 is for turning ON the mode.
And of course those Mode will be shown on a LCD screen.

I have done the Auto part. Now left for the Manual and Wifi.
For Wifi part, it should be controlled through the internet. For example, I am at the far distance from the vacuum cleaner and would like to turn it ON in order to help me to clean the places I want. By using the specific IP address, I could run my device.

For Manual part, it should be controlled by the laptop keyboard. For example, by pressing at the number pad, "8" for forward, "4" for left, "6" for right, "2" for backward and "5" for stop.

Anyone could help me?
Thanks a lot :~

Thanks Arrch.
But I am now suffering for how does the Arduino work?
I'm using PIC16F877A for my controller chip.
Does this PIC has any pin that could connect to Arduino?
Which pin should I connect to?
and can I have any sample codes of it.
Thousands of thanks again Arrch and Florinc :cold_sweat:

Before you go into details (controller chip etc), you need to understand the big picture. As I said, Arduino+WiFi shield could act as a web server that processes requests from your laptop (connected to the network) or smart phone (connected to the network through wifi).
You could test this setup without your vacuum cleaner in place, just to check how the commands get through. Then add your relay board to the arduino and modify the sketch to include them.
What kind of vacuum cleaner are you using? A roomba?

Thanks Florinc again.

Neither Roomba nor iRobot.
Actually I have bought a module named Multifunction Mobile Robot which have some of the features that I need. For example, Utrasonic Sensor and Xbee Controller. Both are for the Manual Mode for my vacuum cleaner.

Multifunction Mobile Robot link

This module come with the PIC16F877A and I have copied down the codes and compiled it. It functions good.
But now I am wondering how should I connect the Arduino to this module?

Can anyone help me?
Thanks a lot :cold_sweat:

Why are you bothering with Arduino when you bought a robot kit that already comes with a PIC microcontroller?

Hi Arcch,
the robot kit doesn't provide wifi controller feature.
So I would like to add-on the feature onto it.
Now my mission is to add-on a small fan which would provide dust suction.
Besides that, I would like to control my device through internet. That's why I need Arduino to make it function.
Is it possible to make it?

Do you want to add an Arduino to your robot? Are you going to interface your Arduino with the PIC? How (I2C, Tx/Rx)?
If this is the case, you have way too many challenges in your hands.
I would completely drop the PIC and replace it with the Arduino. Or get an Arduino-controlled robot. Have you ever used an Arduino before?

callmegill:
Besides that, I would like to control my device through internet. That's why I need Arduino to make it function.

Actually, you need a WiFi module to do that, you're just opting to use an Arduino instead of the PIC to talk to the WiFi module. If you'd rather use the Arduino, then I agree with florinc, drop the PIC altogether and use the Arduino for everything.

Hi Florinc,
Yup, I am going to add an Arduino to my robot. By the way, what is the difference between I2C and Tx/Rx?
Can the Arduino function as controlling the sensors parts?
Thank you :cold_sweat:

Hi Arcch,
Can Arduino function as controlling the sensors parts?
If I just buy the Arduino Wifi Shield, is it enough?
or do I have to add other module to make it (Arduino Wifi Shield) function?
Thank you :blush: