FirmataVB Serial Monitor

Hey guys I have been working on my own Serial Monitor and was wondering how to get the Output from the serial on a COM port.

I have been using VB.NET 2010 Express. I have already added the FirmataVB reference and the FirmataVB control in my form. I have my connections settings already setup such as; COM Port settings; Baud settings; Parity; Bit etc.

I guess you better ask that question on a VB forum, this is for Arduino and your question does not belong to the Arduino platform.

Hah, my apologies. Ty for the redirection =)

Hey guys I have been working on my own Serial Monitor and was wondering how to get the Output from the serial on a COM port.

I have been using VB.NET 2010 Express / Visual Studio 2010. I have already added the FirmataVB reference and the FirmataVB control in my form. I have my connections settings already setup such as; COM Port settings; Baud settings; Parity; Bit etc.

Please don't crosspost.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,108710.0.html

What are you expecting to read from the serial port? FirmataVB expects you to be running the Firmata sketch on the Arduino, and uses serial for the Firmata protocol. You can't send non-Firmata messages through serial while that sketch is running.

I guess you better ask that question on a VB forum, this is for Arduino and your question does not belong to the Arduino platform.

You were told to ask in a VB forum, not an Arduino one. I have posted an answer in your other post. Crossposting is frowned upon here, and Mods will frequently delete or merge duplicate posts.

Well judging by my 6 posts, its safe to say I'm not a spammer and here for cross posting.

Moderator edit: Insults deleted. (Nick Gammon)

Where does the answer I gave in the other post show any sort of ignorance? You are using the FirmataVB plugin. It expects Firmata on the Arduino. Firmata turns the Arduino into a dumb slave device that simply responds to instructions from the controlling application like set/read digital pin, read analogue pin etc.

So, you are familiar with the subject yet you can't answer the question?

Moderator edit: Insults deleted. (Nick Gammon)

I am trying to answer the question. Perhaps you could answer mine. What are you trying to get from the serial input? If you want to see the FirmataVB to Firmata Sketch traffic then you need to look inside the FirmataVB source and see what it does with it.

All grudges and grime set aside, Arduino outputs the traffic to a viewport/textbox, I am trying to mimic/imitate this method but using VB.NET, and when I was reading artcles online the only thing I had seen was FirmataVB1.SeralPort1.Readline. But unfortunately for the site that provided the plugin or references there isn't enough documentation that shows methods and its use.

Your best bet would be to ditch Firmata. There have been many threads here on VB/Arduino communication, including this one http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,104164.0.html, which may help. The forum search facility is pretty slow, but you should be able to find other examples.

in my opinion it is easier in the long run if you do not use firmata

just read the serial port and you do not need the firmata stuff

Threads merged. This sort of language is not acceptable.