China Mega 2560

More in the Ongoing Saga of "Why Not To Buy a Clone" or "China Mega 2560"
and this was a gift... too.
Some further investigation leads me to ask where is the unique device ID stored on the Mega Board. MY Uno R.3 shows up in the Win7 (X86) Device Manager in the Port (COM and LPT)
Tab as UNO R3 (COMXX).
When I plug in the Mega Clone it Always reports under the Other Devices Tab as Arduino Mega 2560 with that yellow triangular symbol that has an exclamation point in it, occasionally the Mega will also enumerate as an Unknown USB Device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers tab again with the yellow symbol.... Considering the past issues with the board, I am nearly ready to turn it into Wall Art and buy a real one next.
Is it easily possible to re-flash the 8U2 on my board with the correct data W/O "Bricking" the processor and where could I find a real simple method and the files to do it with?.
I do have every thing as far as jumpers power supplies, Etc, a Real Uno R3 and most anything except a real Atmel Programmer, That is in the mail from China and not due for a week or so.

(Added Note) Has Anyone a suggestion as to the best USB to TTL Device to use. I have several different ones based on the PL2303 driver chip and I have a couple of the FTDI232R devices that I can assemble on a shield to plug into the Mega (Hate doing that as they're 28 Pin SSOP devices) but it is do-able. IMO

Doc