Newbie - Multiple tasks on one Uno - can I do this

I have an Uno which is set up as an Autoguider for a telescope. Not all the pin outs are being used, the question is - could I control focus using the spare pinouts connected to a motor that it is incorporated in a commercial focuser? If so would it be possible to simply include the necessary programming in the autoguiding sketch. What I am trying to avoid is another board in the box that has the Uno installed.
Any guidance that can be given would be grately appraciated.

BTW, this forum is excellent, so much happening and such a lot of information going to and fro. I have read most of the faq's but stopped when I reached those going back almost 2 years. It might help me to search by topic.

Not all the pin outs are being used, the question is - could I control focus using the spare pinouts connected to a motor that it is incorporated in a commercial focuser?

yes ! but you'll need to know the motor and use appropriate driving mechanism Ex:- stpper? ,servo ? dc motor ?

If so would it be possible to simply include the necessary programming in the autoguiding sketch.

Yes

BTW, this forum is excellent,

YEAH!!! :slight_smile:

I have the one arduino measuring the temperature in 4 places, the light in 2 places, the amount of electricity and gas I'm using and controlling the heating.......

http://pluggy.is-a-geek.com/

Being able to program without using delay() helps a lot.

Hi Pluggy, there's a lot going on there- all on one Arduino?
If you can do all that then I should be able to include (he says) a Temperatue/Humidty sensor to let me know when the Dewpoint is reached. What do you think?

If all of this is possible and can be kept in the one box, very tight, it's a purpose made box for the Uno, then that's the route for me.
In a former life I have done some programming, Machine Code & Basic so I am hopeful that the Arduino language wont be too difficult.

If anybody else has some guidance would appreciate it.

quote:
yes ! but you'll need to know the motor and use appropriate driving mechanism Ex:- stpper? ,servo ? dc motor ?http://www.arduino.cc
/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/yabb21/undecided.gif

I don't know the motor type. In the event I can't find out then I may have to think of how to do it myself from scratch :-/ :-/ :-/

All that page isn't one Arduino, theres a server (posh name for hacked NAS box) doing the graphing and another arduino doing the figures for the Church graphs at the bottom. The one arduino does generate the figures for the graphs at home and controls the heating. It puts some of the figures up on an LCD too. Theres a link 'How this is done' which is some way out of date but it gives the gist of how it works.