Solder Wire Recommendation

I have always used this:-

Get it as thin as possible, in this case 0.5mm diameter is the thinnest. It makes a real difference getting thin solder for electronics.

It would help if you told us where in the world you are. Here in France I use Castolin RT 3232 for general electronics use.

It's best to go for a 60/40 tin lead alloy with a rosin flux core. Don't bother with lead free solder. It's only needed for manufacturing consumer products and is much more difficult to use.

Russell.

Hi,

Multicore brand is what I recommend, the solder linked by Grumpy_Mike.

Flows well and the flux is very efficient and doesn't leave a lot of byproducts behind.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

As Mike suggests, use the smallest diameter that you can obtain.

Thanks for the input.
I was using 0.8mm 60/40 Sn/Pb 2% Rosin Core Flux.
I will now definitely buy thinner diameter.

I think you'll find that, just like with solder tips, there will be times that the 0.8mm works very well and other times where you really want something about half that diameter.

I use the thinnest I can get, 23 guage, 0.025" diameter.
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/solder/leaded/sn60-pb40-4890/

If you don't want to have to use industrial hand clensers to remove heavy metal residue from
your hands (soap doesn't work), avoid lead. Use the lead-free solders with silver in them, much
easier to work with. The plain tin/copper alloy is trickier and can't easily be re-worked once
set. The silver stuff is fine, just runs a bit hotter than tin/lead. The extra cost is neither
here nor there compared to the cost of the rest of board and components!

Use the lead-free solders with silver in them, much easier to work with.

I am going to have to disagree with you here. I find it difficult to "wet" with lead-free solders. I have never met an engineer who prefers it, although there are a few on line like yourself that say it is easier to work with it is not my experience.

I keep "Soder Wick" empties and wind solder on them.

Hi
I hate trouble shooting lead free soldered PCB, hard to tell dry or cracked joints.
I never use lead free at my bench, to resolder a lead free joint, I completey remove the old solder using desoldering tool (sucker) and the solderwik.

I can't see the pro.. pro... proble... problem with l... lll... lead sodder er sodder er solder.... u.. u... used...it. al.... all..... m...... my...... life.

Tom..... :slight_smile: (I think)

Great idea for getting different sorts of solder out of the building without buying a full reel . :frowning:
That's similar to how I found the best lead free solder to work with my weller. :blush:

I think the dangers of using metallic lead are sometimes overstated. Metallic lead is quite inert and not easily absorbed, unlike some lead salts such as used to be used in paints. Organic lead salts such as tetra-ethyl lead are the worst.

I've used tin/lead solder for over 55 years and show no signs of lead poisoning - except perhaps hair loss but that could just be age :-[

Russell.

I think the dangers of using metallic lead are sometimes overstated.

I agree, vastly over stated. And I still have all my hair. :slight_smile:

Hi,
Ditto, I look like Ned Kelly in my Drivers Licence Picture.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Same...

Worked with lead based solder since 1973

1977-1978 as a wave solder machine operator... (big moving pool of molten leaded solder)

I'm still fine.

I just don't eat it.

Oh, drat! Not eating it is the key!

I can't be the only one who on occasion holds the solder in his mouth.

jboyton:
I can't be the only one who on occasion holds the solder in his mouth.

No, sometimes that can be your fourth hand.
But there is no harm in that either. You do it all day every day and then maybe but otherwise nothing to worry about.

Apparently the biggest hazard from handling lead arises from its density. It is very heavy and lifting it causes back injuries.

Off to the kitchen now to melt some lead on the gas cooker to cast a driving weight for a clock, I will keep the extractor fan going though :wink:

Russell.