please add a jumper to disable auto reset

Strange, my 2009 has the trace in question.

how about just turning off RTSCTS flow control, seems to work just fine here. i'm running ubuntu 9.10 linux with an ftdi cable

quote form the 2009's page:
The Duemilanove contains a trace that can be cut to disable the auto-reset. The pads on either side of the trace can be soldered together to re-enable it. It's labeled "RESET-EN". You may also be able to disable the auto-reset by connecting a 110 ohm resistor from 5V to the reset line; see this forum thread for details.

Yes, but modern arduinos lack this solder jumper.

No they dont.
A: The RESET-EN trace is on the schematic.
B: Check your arduino between the usb port and the ftdi chip.
C: Its a trace between two soilder pads, not a jumper.
D: Here is a picture, and besides the circle, not edited( you can check the 2009's page) The circle shows the trace.

Just my 2 cents:
Place a capacitor of 1 or 2 microfarad between reset and ground.
You don't have to try different resistors.
The reset from the ftdi chip is disabled and the reset button works normally without the "huge" current of 40 mA.
Remove the cap and everything is normal.

For the record, the latest versions of the Duemilanove don't have the solder pads with the trace between them. Earlier ones do, the later ones don't. Most compatibles and knock offs have the pads as per the early original boards.

Late model genuine Duemilanove :

How can I remove the autoreset feature of my microcontroller ( http://mcukits.com/2009/03/12/assembling-the-freeduino-serial-v20-board-max232/) ?

What capacitor will I remove?

Or do I need to:

The Freeduino MaxSerial serial port can be connected with any standard serial cable to the serial port on the router.
The Freeduino MaxSerial uses serial pin 4 - DTR (data terminal ready) to reset the microcontroller and allow it to download new code. Under normal PC operation this pin is either +10V or -10V depending on whether the serial port is connected or not. However, this pin is grounded on the router serial port and isn't active. When the router serial port starts sending data, the MaxSerial resets. That's no good for us. We are going to pull-up the DTR pin to +9V. With this quick hardware modification, it basically adds a program-locked mode so that new code can't be uploaded and the microcontroller can't be reset by the serial port. If you need to reprogram it, just flip the switch. +9V is a pin with easy access on the Freeduino MaxSerial.

Pls help..

What capacitor will I remove?

The one labled C4 in the schematic drawing.

Lefty

C4 in the linked schematic is controlling the auto reset. Without it, it won't auto reset. Or you could try tiepie's solution of putting a larger value capacitor between gnd and reset.

For the record, the latest versions of the Duemilanove don't have the solder pads with the trace between them. Earlier ones do, the later ones don't. Most compatibles and knock offs have the pads as per the early original boards.

In that case ive been ripped off many a time. Why not just re-instate that trace?

Why not just re-instate that trace?

Trust that the trace always exists or the auto-reset would not function. There just may not be an easy to see/roomy enough area to show where to cut. However once the trace is located it can either be cut or the series capacitor can be removed. I think the low ohm resistor temporarily inserted into the shield +5vdc and reset pins is the simplest way to go.

Lefty

I think the low ohm resistor temporarily inserted into the shield +5vdc and reset pins is the simplest way to go.

I like tiepie's absorbing the ground pulse from the auto reset capacitor into a much bigger one charged to +5v, seems more refined somehow :wink:

It's quite strange that this regression made it to the latest boards.

Granted, a switch/jumper would be much better, but why remove it. It's not like people got confused about it or it added cost to the board.

the latest versions of the Duemilanove don't have the solder pads with the trace between them.

Huh. I dislike it when open source hardware published designs get out-of-sync with the versions that are actually shipping (or even non-open-source designs with published schematics.) On the other hand, it's pretty tough to keep in sync (you don't want to publish a new design for every minor manufacturing change), and the Freeduino designs seem to have suffered the same fate, so I guess I'll survive...

Thanks Lefty,

I will remove the C4 0.1uf ceramic capacitor connected to the reset tack switch.

So removing the C4 is the same as adding a switch with a resistor that is connected to a 9V source in the DTR part?

Regards

Removing the C4 capacitor completley disables auto reset, not quite sure how the 9v enters into the equation.

The reset on the arduino is activated when the pin is brought LOW (0v) from its normal state held high (5v) by a 10k resistor. What happens with the DTR is that the DTR is usually high (5v) and goes low when the serial port is initialised. This change of state is 'transferred' via C4 to the reset pin which temporarily drops low before being brought high again by the pull up resistor and resetting the Arduino. If C4 isn't there it doesn't happen and the arduino only resets by pressing the button. The workarounds to this autoreset revolve around keeping the reset pin High despite the best efforts of C4 to bring it low when DTR goes low.

Thanks Pluggy!

Don't know if it has already been said in previous page, anyway here it is the solution for Arduino serial controlling from Windows XP in VBA (Visual Basic for Applications):

Connect your source to Microsoft Comm Control (MSCOMM32.OCX) , then:

Dim MSComm1 As Object

Sub ArduinoOpen()
Set MSComm1 = CreateObject("MSCOMMLib.MSComm")
MSComm1.Settings = "9600,n,8,1"
MSComm1.CommPort = 4
MSComm1.InBufferCount = 0
** MSComm1.DTREnable = False**
MSComm1.PortOpen = True
If Err Then
MsgBox "COM" & MSComm1.CommPort & ": not opened, Sorry!"
Exit Sub
End If
End Sub

Sub ArduinoClose()
MSComm1.PortOpen = False