Arduino Factoids Please

Hi All,
I am teaching an Arduino class to pupils age range from 10-12.

As part of introducing them to the Arduino so that they can get to know it and what it does, I like to start the class with a couple of facts.

anyone who can pitch in with some - that would be great,

for instance, information about the chip, or where else it is used, what is also on the board, for instance the timer chrystal and what that does.

Where Arduino are (if) used in industry or products, Interesting places arduino's and ATMega328's have been used.

etc..

Thanks in advance.

jon

You will probably get a lot of info about the Atmega 328 and its applications on Atmel's website.

...R

You should grab a copy of my book, Arduino for Teens, there is a whole chapter on just that kind of info.
Available at Amazon and other book sellers.

Please don't crosspost. Duplicate topic is locked.

Arduino would not typically be used in Industry or End Products. Anything requiring mass production would use a custom board that could be made under a manufacturer's control with a parts list they could control and with software written for that application. Arduino could be used to prototype the design as a proof of concept, but the production version would only carry the chip and crystal forward; the rest of the board would be shrunk down, including the processor (going to surface mount for quicker automated assembly), unused parts would be deleted, other parts might be added to support the end product.
An example would be this programmer. The '328P processor and crystal are in the lower left corner. The Arduino headers are gone. A rotary encoder is added, a display and drivers are added, a SD card and voltage level shifters are added, some control buttons and status LEDs are added, and 2 connectors to connect to the card being programmed are added.

An interesting place Arduino has been used is my Fencing Scoring Machine. If one looks close, two ProMini's can be seen.
One is used to detect when an attack has successfully scored, the other controls the lights and buzzer (and talks to two remote light boxes. A 3rd Promini is used in the Remote Control.
In both examples, the end item did not need to connect to a PC, so a Promini was used as the USB/Serial adapter and other features (connectors, auto power source switching, USB and power connector) of an Uno were not needed.

Sony DWT-B01 radio microphones use the same processor as found in the Leonardo.

The Arduino MEGA has memory (256k program flash and 8k ram) and performance (16Mhz/8bit) that are "roughly similar" to the original Apple Macintosh. (64k rom, 128k program space in RAM, 8Mhz/16/32bit executions)

Similarly, the uno compares to the somewhat older cp/m systems in memory size, but runs faster.

codemakr:
Where Arduino are (if) used in industry or products, Interesting places arduino's and ATMega328's have been used.

I haven't got any examples of a 328, however here is part of a Convotherm oven control panel and relay board.

There is an Atmega128 and Atmega8515 on the main board. And another Atmega128 on the relay board.

This is one of the ovens it is used in:

The attached image is just the control panel I inserted above (made smaller).