Arduino Controlled Stage Light Array

I am starting a project of building a stage light array of approx. 1.5x2m The main purpose is to pre-program a few shapes that will loop on the display.
8x8 or 8x6 light array that can be controlled from the Arduino PWM pins via transistors to activate the light array.
I completed a similar project with various low voltage led arrays, although now I want to step it up a notch.
Since this will be a very large array the lights would have to be bigger and stronger.
I was thinking along the lines of 12v Halogen bulbs, as 240v won’t be switchable with transistors and relays might be to slow.
Now my main feasibility question in will the 12v Halogen bulbs be practical, I notices some fairly same size Led bulbs, but they are expensive. Or would I have to revert to a Led Clusters?
Any advice or thoughts

Hi,

Are you doing this to teach or demonstrate stage lighting techniques? Tell us a little more.

The 12V halogens would be good because they behave much like larger lighting instruments. The changes in color temperature with dimming, for example, doesn't happen with LEDs..

Depends on your objectives....

So, will you be dimming them or doing fast fades?

You could use relays, but then no dimming and perhaps noise??

So, power FETs seem like an approach. I have used these on 12V halogens. They could be mounted near the lamps or power source and some distance from the Arduino if needed...
http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=60

Or you could build your own dimmer box...

DISCLAIMER: I mentioned stuff from my own Shop...

Thanks for the quick reply Terry.
It will be mainly used as as Stage lighting prop for charity events where a band plays. They have a few coloured lights and would like to invest in some DMX boxes in the future.
My thoughts were that I could construct something that would provide some sort of visual effects in the short term till they get some better kit. It would mainly display the outlines of the logo and then some scrolling effects.

I think Power FETs would be the way to go. Just wanted to find out if anyone has some recommendations or If I was barking up the wrong tree with halogens.