To Moderators : Forum Censorship

Why was my post message no. 1272313611 not posted? I only mentioned another development platform which happened to not be Arduino, the point that I was trying to get across was that the other platforms shields would be compatible with Arduino and vise versa

Considering the mods on here are extremely laid back (it can take them a couple of days to delete spam) and I've never seen any evidence of censorship in my time here, I can't see it being a mod issue. More likely a forum glitch (pretty common). I often mention other development platforms.

Here we go : I love Pic, Arduino sux.......

Hi Pluggy, well maybe it is a glitch, the message is there if you search for amicus, just doesn't show in my log or on forum, oh well

Why was my post message no. 1272313611 not posted?

It was. I read it.

You posted to the News forum. In my opinion, this was not the appropriate place. Bar Sport would have been a better choice.

My speculation is that your message was removed because it doesn't belong in News.

I suggest reposting to Bar Sport.

Must have had a hard day :wink: , This one which I consider borderline spam started in News and was moved rather than deleted : http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1271760948

I love Pic, Arduino sux

Burn the heretic!

Burn the heretic!

Got a hackaday account by any chance ?. Although they are usually calling for Arduino trolls blood on there. :wink:

I know!

Apparently Arduino is the new thing to hate over there. Oh, and instructables.

I need to keep up with the times :).

Now you know how SF feels on here....

SF? Is that SparkFun? I love those guys!

Now you know how SF feels on here....

Please don't speak for others.
I for one don't hate them. Yes, i was lucky at free-day.

Jeroen

So, how often does anyone associated with Sparkfun post anything useful on this forum?

That's a poor assessment, I think. How many people here do you think buy from them? Anyone who has purchased one of their products is, be definition, "associated" with them. This is indirectly, of course, but the fact remains. I think maybe what you're saying is, "How often does someone FROM SF post here?" The answer to that question is, probably fairly rarely compared to the total postings per day.

If you're harboring ill will towards them because you didn't get anything on Free Day well, neither did I. I don't feel some sort of entitlement because they were giving away something free, thus, I don't feel cheated. I think there are a lot of people who do (did) feel cheated. Yes, I was disappointed, but I got over it. If that's your beef, I think it's a poor excuse. If you've been wronged by them in some professional sort of way, you would have a legitimate complaint.

(steps off his soapbox)

By "associated", I meant employed, affiliated, or connected in a financial sense beyond being a customer of.

It isn't just about the Free Day fiasco.

The only time any one from Sparkfun comes to the forum it is to sell something. They never respond to questions that people have using the products they bought from Sparkfun.

We are here. It has taken some time to get 'here' though, and we apologize. Our company is growing, and with it our support departments.

We do wish to take a more active presence in forums, but limited personnel and other priorities have made this quite difficult. But we are here and listening and will try to do what we can!

If you've been wronged by them in some professional sort of way

I have.

you would have a legitimate complaint.

Excellent! My turn on the soapbox!

My complaint is this: Where can I find a good, reasonably priced toaster? Not a toster oven. Just a plain, two slices of bread, toaster. The one I have now is actually TOO SMALL. Why would someone make a toaster that has slots too small for normally sized bread?

And $200 for a "high end" toaster! That's just CRAZY!

They do run their OWN forums, after all. Why would anyone expect SparkFun to spend full time here?

It is also my firm belief that 'duino haters are actually mostly PIC coders that realize that their #1 status might be threatened by arduino popularity. Which is silly to me.

I mean... how often do we talk about Arduino without bootloader using AVRGCC here? You can make equal comparisons in that realm... but I think we have not seen a PIC based open source solution anywhere near as friendly and easy and affordable as Arduino.

I is my general experience that actual vendors do NOT participate heavily in "user forums." No Microchip presence on PICList, not much Atmel participation on AVRFreaks, etc. I HOPE that this is because they have more interactions directly with customers (only a small percentage of customers participate in forums as well) as needed. (don't forget that SF has their own set of forums, too.)

This is why it's so important to have a big and active enough user base to create their OWN community, with or without vendor support. Take a look at Freescale's TowerGeeks Forum sometime. While they were aiming at one point on gobbling up some of the Arduino market, and while they have Freescale support people on the forum, it is still rather ... pathetic (compared to Arduino Forums in particular...)

They do run their OWN forums, after all. Why would anyone expect SparkFun to spend full time here?

well we all know my feelings on SF so I am not going there, BUT the last time I opened my mouth I suggested they LOOK at their own forums, as it was endless questions and no suggestions (aside from the occasional user post)

that has gotten a (very slightly) bit better, so +1 for them (too bad they are currently at -999 if i were keeping score hehe)

I dont expect them to offer support on ever hobby forum that may have customers

Also we have not had any spam from them since nate came around, this is good since they are not active in this community, that always rubbed me like a bum acting like were best friends so he can steal my wallet, maybe we can keep it that way, maybe SF will become our buddies and it might not be so bad, either way I dont care :slight_smile:

now if we can just hammer the point home that using a 50 cent dip style chip is not "shaving the yak" vs their 5$ same chip on a smd breakout board AND get their professional face in check (ie not resorting to namecalling at the drop of a hat) I think most of my issues would be toned down

A few statements:

• we don't censor posts.. we delete blatant spam and full on advertisement
  • the software isn't perfect it might skip a post...
  • on the internet people prefer a conspiracy theory over any other reasonable explanation :slight_smile:
  • We love Sparkfun and we love Nathan. They have done a lot for Arduino. It's not their job to spend time on this forum. if they do I'm grateful.
  • What is a PIC? :slight_smile:

m