Schematic for Arduino Sensor Shield v5.0 ?

Who manufactures it? They'd be your best bet.

I think it's manufactured by DFRobots.
This is the product page: IO Expansion Shield for Arduino v5 (Discontinued) - DFRobot
On the bottom there are some links to the schematics and a wiki page.
This is the link to the schematic: http://www.dfrobot.com/image/data/DFR0088/Arduino%20Expansion%20V5%20SCH.pdf

Google is my friend 8)

That can't possibly be the schematic ! The one shown has 2 ICs on it, while the real shield has no active components at all.

I forgot to mention that there is "SainSmart" stenciled on the reverse side. SainSmart has no schematic posted for their own board on their entire web site.

The usual sensor V5 shield has a blue pcb layer, that is a slightly darker blue than the standard Arduino blue, while the DFRobot shield is called an IO shield, and has a black pcb layer. I have the V4 shield, and it was made by flamingoeda. You might expect the V5 one is as well is built by them as well, but I've also seen Emartee and SainSmart list sensor shield V5's.

pascor:
That can't possibly be the schematic ! The one shown has 2 ICs on it, while the real shield has no active components at all.

I forgot to mention that there is "SainSmart" stenciled on the reverse side. SainSmart has no schematic posted for their own board on their entire web site.

Ah. More information. My initial reply was based on the information you provided. So I consulted my friend again and came up with this:

taken from this website:
http://www.arduinosale.com/arduino-sensor-shield-v5-0-sensor-expansion-board-electronic-building-blocks-of-robot-parts.html

As you can see, all the connectors have references to the arduino pins.
Still no real schematic but based on this one should be able to draw one.

Thanks, I found this diagram when I first looked. But, I want a schematic diagram, not a layout diagram.

Also, there's no up-to-date schematic diagram available for the Mega2560 board, either.

Are the designers at Arduino sloppy, or just lazy ? There's no good excuse for not providing accurate documentation.

Ummm, I believe this is not an official Arduino board. Going to Arduino.cc, the only shields I see are:

• Arduino ethernet shield
  • Arduino wireless SD shield
  • Arduino wireless proto shield
  • Arduino motor shield
  • Arduino proto shield

There are lots of shields that work with Arduinos, presumably some are good, and some aren't. As I am coming up to speed on Arduino, SainSmart at times seems to leave some things out (like schematics, etc.). As a consequence, it tends to go for low cost boards. If schematics are important to you, consider going to a different manufacturer that does provide these. You may have to pay more for this, but I view it as paying for quality.

When I bought my original Uno kit, it was just a random bunch of parts shipped together with no documentation for the individual parts, and only generic hints on the web site. So now, as I expand, I tend to buy only from sites that have documentation and sketches of the part I'm buying, and skip sites that don't provide this information. I view this as in a tiny way of helping to improve the ecosystem, by buying from quality vendors.

pascor:
Thanks, I found this diagram when I first looked. But, I want a schematic diagram, not a layout diagram.

Also, there's no up-to-date schematic diagram available for the Mega2560 board, either.

Are the designers at Arduino sloppy, or just lazy ? There's no good excuse for not providing accurate documentation.

No need to start a flame war nor use language that is inflammatory. After all, the vast majority of folk here do their thing for free. As such, some gratitude is in order... I simply marvel how easy the work of others has made it for me to program all sorts of things.

The Mega 2560 documentation page includes a schematic as well as the eagle files that list all components, the layout, etc. You can download eagle for free and then use the ULP bom function to get a BOM of all used components. Hence the ease with which current boards are modified by others to serve new purposes.

Last but not least, before we cast stones at the Arduino team, it might be worthwhile looking at some competitors' sites. For example, the Digilent ChipKit foray into an "Arduino-compatible" form factor does not feature a prominent disclosure re: a schematic or the components on the board. You get pin designations, and that's about it. Not sure how much wider the Arduino folk need to open their kimonos, from what I can tell everything one would need to use a existing board as a start-off point is already there.

It's very unfortunate that the term "Arduino" is used both for a specific company name and also for generic module compatibility from any manufacturer.

My Mega2560 is marked "WWW.ARGUINO.CC" and "DESIGN IN ITALY".

My "Arduino Sensor Shield v5.0" has "SainSmart" stenciled on the reverse side, yet Arduino.cc sells an apparently identical shield with an identically-colored PCB. The shield is actually labeled "Ar dulno Sensor Shieldv5.0" [sic], misspellings and all. SainSmart says they are a "team" that is "bringing you the cool items from Pearl River Delta of China, the global manufacture powerhouse". WTH is "Pearl River Delta of China", anyway ??? (This is a rhetorical question since SainSmart won't provide an answer.)

Thanks for the links. As far as I can tell, these links are either not available at all on their main English language web site or else are very well hidden.

pascor:
It's very unfortunate that the term "Arduino" is used both for a specific company name and also for generic module compatibility from any manufacturer.

Arduino is a trademark that many folk in various countries are only too happy to violate. Consider how easy it is to violate said trademark, BTW.

Unlike Digilent and other companies products' you don't even need to reverse-engineer the schematics, code, etc. because it's all published for the world to use. Most of the wares sold for less than $20 that claim to be Arduinos are in fact knockoffs whose sellers are predominantly based in the far east. That's not to say that they don't produce quality wares, etc. but with those prices it's unlikely that they're contributing to the Arduino open source efforts the way that the official Arduino suppliers/resellers do.

pascor:
My Mega2560 is marked "WWW.ARGUINO.CC" and "DESIGN IN ITALY".

Well, reads like a knockoff whose intent was to skirt the trademarked name, much like "Rotex", "Prolex", and other variations of a well-known watch brand.

pascor:
My "Arduino Sensor Shield v5.0" has "SainSmart" stenciled on the reverse side, yet Arduino.cc sells an apparently identical shield with an identically-colored PCB. The shield is actually labeled "Ar dulno Sensor Shieldv5.0" [sic], misspellings and all. SainSmart says they are a "team" that is "bringing you the cool items from Pearl River Delta of China, the global manufacture powerhouse". WTH is "Pearl River Delta of China", anyway ??? (This is a rhetorical question since SainSmart won't provide an answer.)

As with your other question (i.e. where to find Arduino hardware documentation), the answer can be looked up quite easily with any competent internet search engine. Whether or not the Arduino web-site could benefit from a facelift is another question - I too find it somewhat confusing and usually find it easier to Google for content rather than search it myself. :fearful: Cheers and best of luck with your project.

--- Edited to acknowledge that Digilent publishes its Eagle files ----

I was about to post something on a new thread about arduinosale . com. Found it in a google search. Its obviously not arduino. I thought they had a trademark. Cant the lawyers have that thing shutdown with a few letters?
Its the principle. How (rhetorical) can they be so lame to take an opensource free thing where the only thing they ask is that you dont use their name on your products. theres a ton of resellers that keep the duino and add to it. Thats cool you know its in the greater arduino platform family. But to blatantly stamp it with arduino and made in italy when its made in a mud hut in china is pretty low. i might actually give it a shot if it was called cheapcrapduino. At least you know what you are getting.

the Digilent ChipKit foray into an "Arduino-compatible" form factor does not feature a prominent disclosure re: a schematic or the components on the board

Huh? It's right there at the bottom of the product page, labeled "Open source EAGLE project for the chipKIT Uno32. Created in EAGLE v5.11"

Not that it doesn't seem to be "a problem" that many vendors are a bit lax when it comes to the "share alike" clause for derivative works, but Digilent doesn't seem to be one of them! (mind you, the chipKits are 4-layer boards, so they're not so easily modifiable as a regular Arduino Uno, but I learned a lot looking at the digitlent Eagle files; they're a step above most arduino-related layouts when it comes to a number of professional details.

Yup, you're right, I must have been blind - I didn't see the Eagle file reference and I actually looked. Nuts. I've modified my original post accordingly.

But Digilent is then one of the few companies that publish a schematic for their products, never mind the actual EAGLE files that describe their boards in detail. Case in point, I recently had to take apart a vacuum cleaner from Sears that is run by an Attiny 8. No service manual is published or purchasable (at least at Sears). The best Sears does is to sell you parts, after that you're on you're own (and if the illustrations for repair parts aren't clear enough online, there is a replacement part manual available for $7 plus shipping).

It makes sense to publish a schematic for a prototyping board, but companies have choices re: the level of detail they go into describing the various ports, pins, etc. A full schematic goes a long way towards diagnosing rare issues that may then lead to improvements down the line. A full Eagle file is open-kimono time and basically allowing the world to potentially rip off your design. That business model requires your customers to understand and appreciate what you do vs. buying cut-rate rip-offs from China.

For example, the Maple board is already available as a knock-off, just like the Arduino boards. But some of those derivatives also feature interesting options, such as the Arduino board with a built-in ethernet controller (wiznet), Xbee pins, NRF+ pins - for $29. You can't even get just the ethernet shield for that kind of money. And some vendors like Sparkfun seem to be selling items that very closely resemble open-sourced stuff - see the USB host shield from Oleg as an example.

Hi need HELP I have a "L298N Module" and I'll like to wire it to the "Arduion Sensor Sheild V5" which sits on a "Sainsmart MEGA 2560" I hope I explain this good LOL... oh almost forgot I have four motors wire to the L289N Module... any help will be thankful...

I don't know quite where all the dribble was aquired in answer to this fellows request for help.

1] He patently requested the "Schematic diagram for the '
'Arduino Proto Shield V.5' ".

2] How any research didn't find the manufacturers 'Gawd' only Knows as this board is produced along with many similar others by Adafruit Industries. The complete details can be found at the following link:

https://learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/adafruit-proto-shield-arduino.pdf

The requested schema can be found at the following address

Here's the latest EagleCAD sch http://adafru.it/cmx

And the schema as an image: http://adafru.it/cmz).

Many copy boards can be bought from the Far East carrying the Version number 5, for as little as £1.25 sterling, post paid home.

ChrisPSR

He patently requested the "Schematic diagram for the ''Arduino Proto Shield V.5' "

That's a lot of condescention to throw on a 2.5y-old thread, especially since you're wrong.
He asked for the schematics of the "Arduino Sensor Shield v5", which eventually tagged as being from Sainsmart (probably http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-sensor-shield-v5-4-arduino-apc220-bluetooth-analog-module-servo-motor.html )
This is much different from the Adafruit prototype shield...

westfw:
That's a lot of condescention to throw on a 2.5y-old thread, especially since you're wrong.
He asked for the schematics of the "Arduino Sensor Shield v5", which eventually tagged as being from Sainsmart (probably http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-sensor-shield-v5-4-arduino-apc220-bluetooth-analog-module-servo-motor.html )
This is much different from the Adafruit prototype shield...

I suppose I joined in this aged thread for very similar reasons as yourself old boy. The version 5 shield is the version 5 shield whether its fit with an empty mach box or a gold plated Atmel 328.

Cheers hope we meet again in better and more recent times.
Very many thanks for your interest.
Chris.

ChrisPSR:
The version 5 shield is the version 5 shield whether its fit with an empty mach box or a gold plated Atmel 328.

Excuse me? The only things the "Arduino Proto Shield V.5" and the "Arduino Sensor Shield v5" have in common are that they are both blue, they both have shield connectors, and they have many of the same words in their name including the same version number. But the difference in their name - Proto vs Sensor - is significant: they are very different boards both electrically and functionally, and serve very different purposes. Other than you bringing it up, the "Arduino Proto Shield V.5" has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.