What is the max current I could draw from a 9V battery?

What is the max current I could draw from a 9V battery? I'm looking to draw 150 mA aka 0.15A from a power source. Does a 12V battery have a higher current rating? :~

I don't think the answer depends on which 9v battery you are talking about right? I can draw about 5ma out of my wimpy 9v battery and I think your super-duper 9v battery can do no better.

If you are talking about a PP3 style battery, the alkaline version has a capacity of around 600mAH. So for any sensible lifespan you are looking at a useful maximum of around 30mA.

Battery capacity is usually a measure of AH capacity and is based on physical size rather than rated voltage. In essence a large battery has greater capacity than a smaller one of the same voltage and hence may be considered as capable of greater current capability.

As to maximum current, it all depends on chemistry, how long you want to draw current, how much money you have to spend, etc. As a simple rule, I would suggest you use AH/20 as a useful yardstick. The current versus AH capacity is not linear. For example, taking the above example, you might only get 10 hours at 30mA (300mAH) but you might get 1500 hours if you only drew 1mA (1500mAH).

If you have a particular battery in mind, simply enter its model into a google search and somewhere in there you'll get an AH capacity rating (that's what I did to establish the first line, above)

encryptor:
What is the max current I could draw from a 9V battery? I'm looking to draw 150 mA aka 0.15A from a power source. Does a 12V battery have a higher current rating? :~

Depends on the specific battery you are talking about. A 12vdc lead acid car battery can supply a lot more continuous current then a much smaller 12 volt battery. Small 9 volt batteries are designed to power smoke alarms for a couple of years but won't supply 150ma for even a day.

Lefty

[u]Here is the datasheet[/u] for a Duracell 9V battery. They don't list a "maximum" current. From the graphs, at 50 mA it looks like you are down to 7V in 5-10 hours.

As much as the battery technology of the 9V battery will allow. If you mean those small square 9V batteries then not a lot for not long. However, if you mean a Lithium Polymer battery then in excess of 10 to 20A .

Here http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/522.pdf is the datasheet for the Energizer alkaline 9V battery. Here http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/la522.pdf is the one for the lithium version. You can get the answer to your question from these sheets.

For 150mA @ 9V, consider using 6xAA cells instead.

why does the slope on the constant current performance decrease instead of increasing over time? The lines start at around 80hrs. :blush:

Will a 12V block battery with coiled terminals provide 150mA? You know the 6 inch tall by 3.5 inch width battery sold at Lowes Hardware Store. I'll use alligator clips from it to the breadboard (+/-) rows.

That sounds like it can just barely draw 150mA aka .15A from this 6V lantern battery. Doing the math i get .25Ah/.15A=1.7h which is fine for the project I'm doing. I could just disconnect battery when not in use.

oh yeah, you're right! :fearful:

Can somebody pls suggest me a circuit that covers the following requirements:
Something that makes a 9V battery pull 5A for 5s when activated by arduino ( i have relay module). So how can I pull 5A out of 9V battery? It is for heating NiCr wire, 5s are enough.

JMD1:
Something that makes a 9V battery pull 5A for 5s when activated by arduino ( i have relay module). So how can I pull 5A out of 9V battery? It is for heating NiCr wire, 5s are enough.

Sure! Put about 40 of the batteries in parallel.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Sure! Put about 40 of the batteries in parallel.

Paul

I was thinking 50, but 40 with a sprinkle of unicorn dust should do the trick.

encryptor:

That depends on what type of 9V battery you're using and the type of chemistry used in it. If you're using regular boxy type (PP3-size. aka 6F22 size) cell with an Alkaline, Zinc carbon, Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh chemistry then you couldn't draw 150mA. Try using one with LiFePO4 chemistry and you could draw more than 500mA aka 0.5A.

The same applies to 12V batteries, depends on type and chemistry.

JMD1:

Since you're heating a NiCr wire, it doesn't need exact 9V unlike sophisticated electronic components.
Try using 3 li-ion 18650 cells in series and you get 11.1V with 5A output.

JMD1:
It is for heating NiCr wire, 5s are enough.

So after five seconds you are happy to change the batteries?

I think not. If you want to be treated with respect here treat us with respect. Read the rules and do not resurrect a five year old thread.

JMD1:
Okay, this starts to be annoying.
@srnet - 26 gauge and I want to heat about 10cm, also I don't have any power supply different from 9V batteries and phone charger.

So your wire still 26 gauge and 10cm? and you still didn't consider to upgrade your battery?

If you draw much more than 10mA from a PP3 sized 9V then your battery life will be rather short. It depends on the battery and the pattern of use. Constant drain will kill a battery more quickly than intermittent. I don't design PP3/6LR61 projects to draw over 5mA to get a 7-10 hour life.

You could use a PP9 battery which has about 10 times the capacity of a PP3 (roughly 5Ah vs 500mAh)

daveayerst:
You could use a PP9 battery

I didn't know they still made those: haven't seen one for 40 years.

kenwood120s:
I didn't know they still made those: haven't seen one for 40 years.

Still available in the UK from Screwfix, B&Q and Amazon. They are still used for doorbell units I think.

3x CR123 cells would be a better option. You get good 9V with better discharge current than PP3.

They are also more easily available than PP9 Cells.