How well does Arduino work with Atmel AVR XMEGA chips?

Specifically I would like to use Arduino with the ATxmega256A3B. Xmegaduino (GitHub - Xmegaduino/Xmegaduino: Xmegaduino fork of Arduino) is a fork of Arduino for XMEGA and so seems like the answer to this question, but it has a very, very short list of explicitly supported boards. How do I know whether I will be able to get the ATxmega256A3B working with Arduino?

If you mean you want to use the Arduino tool chain with an Xmega then you have to port the libraries across.

Xmegaduino (GitHub - Xmegaduino/Xmegaduino: Xmegaduino fork of Arduino) is a fork of Arduino for XMEGA

OK someone has already done this.

very short list of explicitly supported boards.

Do you mean shields?

How do I know whether I will be able to get the ATxmega256A3B working with Arduino?

Do you mean you want to get this chip working with the tool chain (aka IDE)?

Rob

Thanks for the response - I guess it's clear that I'm not particularly familiar with this.

Graynomad:

very short list of explicitly supported boards.

Do you mean shields?

I realize now that I misunderstood the XmegaDuino github page, which lists a few boards that it works with (AVR xplain board, Sparkfun xmega100 breakout board, Magnetovore, Boston Android, couple others). I mistook these boards for individual microcontrollers and assumed this meant that XmegaDuino did not work with all Xmega microcontrollers. This is not what it meant, but I still don't know how to tell if XmegaDuino will work out of the box on all Xmega MCUs.

Graynomad:

How do I know whether I will be able to get the ATxmega256A3B working with Arduino?

Do you mean you want to get this chip working with the tool chain (aka IDE)?

Yes - if use a PDI programmer to burn the bootloader, can I simply open up (their version of) the Arduino IDE, code as I would normally, and hit upload? Or am I missing something?

Thanks again for the help.

but I still don't know how to tell if XmegaDuino will work out of the box on all Xmega MCUs.

That makes two of us, I think you have to ask the XmegaDuino guys.

can I simply open up (their version of) the Arduino IDE, code as I would normally, and hit upload?

Once again, unless there's someone here that has played with this you should ask the XmegaDuino guys whoever they are, I had no luck finding much info with a quick search.

This post

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1269500888

From the old forum might help.

Rob

Thanks for your thoughts - I would want to ask the XmegaDuino guys but there isn't really any way to do so except to file an issue on the github page. There is no forum or mailing list or anything that I can see, so I figured the Arduino forum would be the closest. I'm just trying to decide what MCU to use to prototype a monitoring device for which the extra bits in the ADC channels of the Xmega would be useful, and the option of using Arduino would be nice too. I guess I'll get it and give it a go.