Arduino DIY data logger

Hey guys and girls,

Would like to start playing around with data logging, and was wondering if anyone had a link to a good DIY project that includes making my own SD data logger shield? (to me 80% of the project enjoyment is the building, so don't want to just buy a ready to go shield).

n00b:
Hey guys and girls,

Would like to start playing around with data logging, and was wondering if anyone had a link to a good DIY project that includes making my own SD data logger shield? (to me 80% of the project enjoyment is the building, so don't want to just buy a ready to go shield).

Define making.

I have this SD card shield and I had to solder the parts on the shield. I didn't have to make the PCB or design it. If this level of making is what you look for, you can get something like it. I have some issues with my cards getting occasional problems connecting so I'm not recommending it until I find where the problem is.

Want to etch my own PCB so I can get everything I want on one board. not just solder up a kit.

n00b:
Want to etch my own PCB so I can get everything I want on one board. not just solder up a kit.

Are you restricted to single side board or do you do two sided (or want to learn it)? This may be too hard since the surface mount SD card holder has somewhat fine pin pitch and might require holes to stabilize it on the board. I have no experience with etching though. Hope someone else will jump in and give you some pointers.

Single preferable, but double-sided SSD is preferable over flaking out for something I could build.