Esplora Game Released

An Esplora makes a good controller. With an Adafruit 1.8" display, it makes a great self-contained device.

R0D0T published a great game based on his Arduino platform at http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,119099.0.html - see that post for his blog and Hackaday post which has full details.

This weekend, I took his great work and code and modified it slightly to work on the Esplora+Display combo. I also add a 5 volt battery to make it truly handheld and portable.

You can see it in action and learn to make your own at The 21st Century Digital Home: First Self-Contained Arduino Esplora Game.

My huge thanks to R0D0T for his permission to use the code. I'm really happy to help get some real games and other apps to such a platform. Maybe perhaps we can nudge R0D0T to publish his more complex Snake game?

You can also get the code for the Esplora on Github at GitHub - TheKitty/EsploraApps: Applications for the Arduino Esplora. And get out there and code some great apps and share them on the forum.

On Make blog: Arduino Esplora Video Game - Make:
Adafruit blog: First Self-Contained Arduino Esplora Game « Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers!

This build and game was posted to Make magazine Arduino Esplora Video Game - Make:

Got my tft display today, and gave the Esplora & Games a try: works quite well!
thx,

robtillaart:
Got my tft display today, and gave the Esplora & Games a try: works quite well!
thx

Glad it works for you - enjoy your Esplora+display and if you make something with the combo, post your results here.

Of course,

What gave me trouble were the examples that (should have) worked with processing.
I have 2 versions of P. and both complained (1.5 something about rs232 and the other expected 32bit)

I have no concrete plans yet, some ideas that passed my mind include

• a 2D level,
  • a "serial terminal" to monitor the output of some sketch,
  • oscilloscope/
  • weather station (outdoor/indoor)
  • remote for my TV

The white & orange connectors, are they just digital in (white) /out (orange)?

One set is in, the other out. You can hook up Arduino Tinkerkit items or better roll your own - my blog shows how to use these. I have used the white ones to connect an xbee :slight_smile: